Before getting to this week’s spotlight, here are a few quickies:
– We have drawn our winner for the POTC NW Film Center ticket giveaway. Tony L. wins two tickets, thanks to everyone for entering and we’ll have another contest coming up in the beginning of August.
– Your new Willamette Week Cheap Skate deal for this week includes Pastini Pastaria lunch specials, Bishops Barbershop discounts, a free barbecue and more.
– Your guide for all things and events free this weekend will be posted later this evening at Aroundthesunblog, so be sure to check it sometime this weekend!
– PDX Pop Now! presents a free outdoor concert featuring three bands tonight on the front lawn of Portland City Hall, 5:30pm 8:30pm.
POTC Spotlight: Free movies and advance screenings.
Who doesn’t love a free movie? Fortunately for us Portlanders, there are plenty of opportunities to catch free flicks during the summer and throughout the year. Summer brings outdoor screenings at parks, pools, and rooftops as well the more traditional theater as part of the Family Series at Regal Cinemas.
Aroundthesunblog has compiled a great reference guide for these and more, while PDX Pipeline has listed out screenings at local restaurants, pubs and cafes. Also, check with your local library as they might have a special series just for families or show a movie as part of a discussion.
For free sneak previews and advance screenings through the year, try these resources:
Willamette Week and the Portland Mercury newspaper. Check the movie listings and look for advertisements for free screenings. There are different methods for scoring these tickets, from mailing a self-addressed stamped envelope somewhere, to texting a code on your phone, or by showing up at a local retailer or at the newspaper office at a certain time and date. For example, show up today at 11:00am at Ristretto Roasters at 3520 NW 42nd Avenue and get sneak preview passes for the movie “(500) Days of Summer”, screening 7:00pm next Tuesday, July 21st at Lloyd Center. The Portland Mercury is also showing a free screening of ‘Orphan’ 10:00pm next Tuesday, July 21st at Tigard Cinemas; get your passes at GoFoBo.com and enter RSVP code MERCQYM62A.
– Fat Wallet: helpful message board and movie thread that you can search by city. No registration required, check weekly for screenings in Portland or Tigard.
– Film Metro: free, simple registration required to download movie passes.
– Wild About Movies: if you can wade through all the ads and have a little patience with actually finding the movie screenings, you will be rewarded. But it is a challenge in actually getting to the free movie screening page, you have been warned!
Check back on Monday for our new post of weekly deals and freebies and thanks for visiting our web site!