Here are some cheap things to do for this first week of August:
– Monday, August 3rd is the OMSI Science Pub @ McMenamins Bagdad Theater, 7:00pm start time. Topic: “Outbreak Investigation: Uncovering the Source, Spread and Severity of SARS.” $2.00 suggested cover.
– Tuesday, August 4th: Get two free tacos at Jack in the Box with this coupon. No strings attached, valid from morning til’ midnight. Print the coupon and present when ordering.
– Tuesday is also National Night Out, the annual crrime prevention event designed to strengthen neighborhoods. In Portland, there are neighborhood gatherings happening all over with concerts, potlucks, BBQs, performances, ice cream socials and much more. Click here for a pdf listing of Portland area parties. Other areas include Beaverton, Tigard, and Gresham.
– Wednesday, August 5th is day #4 for the Washington Park Summer Festival, and features Tahoe Jackson’s Consortium (A Soulful Love Letter to Portland). Music starts at 6:00pm at the park’s amphitheater. Free admission, concerts run August 2nd – 15th.
– Thursday, August 6th is Portland’s First Thursday Art Gallery Walk, happening all over downtown Portland, the Pearl and Old Town. The web site Art of Geography has a great downloadable map available here. Festivities start around 5:30pm, but go a little earlier and check out the new Street of Dreams. A non-peak (from 12:00pm – 4:00pm) adult ticket can be had for $13, plus you’ll also receive a ‘Pearl Pass’ that offers discounts and promotions to Pearl district merchants.