- Highlights for this weekend include the Festa Italiana this Friday and Saturday at Pioneer Courthouse Square, free admission to the Portland Art Museum this Friday from 5:00pm – 8:00pm, and Saturday the Oregon Ballet Theatre presents Fall.Art.Live, a free daylong festival celebrating Portlandâ€™s vibrant performing arts scene with workshops, vendors and free outdoor performances.
– Willamette Week’s new Cheapskate deal for this week includes a singalong screening of ‘Mama Mia,’ Goorin Brothers store grand opening, half-price drinks and more.
– Restaurant.com has just announced a new sale on their gift certificates: get 80% off every $25 gift certificate and pay just $2.00. Use promo code ‘TASTE’ now through Monday, August 31st.
POTC Spotlight: Franz Bakery Outlets
I spent my elementary school years at Buckman School, and just about every morning the fresh baked bread smell from Franz Bakery would waft through the windows and make my stomach growl for my sandwich at lunch, which consisted of 3 slices of white bread with ham, cheese and lettuce (my version of a triple decker). Yep, good ol’ Franz Bread with the bright Red and White plastic bag and occasional Blazer trading cards.
Today, I still get my Franz bread, but now I head straight to their bakery outlets, located in Washington, California, Idaho and of course here in Oregon. There are six locations in the Portland area, open seven days a week. I make the special trip because the savings are quite substantial, especially if you are needing to stock up for a picnic or group get-together.
The outlet stores sell fresh bread, soon-to-expire bread, and your day-olds; each section is clearly marked in the store. If you have an Entertainment book, there are coupons for each month for ‘Buy One, Get One FREE’. That’s 12 opportunities to save even more money every year, on top of the great pricing the outlet stores already offer. We recently stopped by the Tigard location, and here is what we found:
Franz specialty breads, 3 for $5 or $1.79 each
– Sweet Dark Whole Grain
– 100% Whole Wheat
– Deli Rye
– Poulsbo Original Multigrain
– Shasta Wilderness Seven Grain
– Salmon River Omega-3 Whole Grain Golden Flax
– Snake River Valley Potato
– Big Horn Valley 100% Whole Wheat
– San Juan Islands Nine Grain
– Cannon Beach Milk & Honey
– Old Fashioned Buttermilk
– Sliced French & Sourdough
– Sourdough Rounds
– Franz Hoagies and Outdoor sanwich rolls, 5 for $5.25 or $1.09 each
– Big hamburger buns, 3 for $4.90 or $1.69 each. Includes BBQ Sweet Onion, BBQ Whole Wheat, BBQ Sesame and Country Potato
– Franz regular white bread (thin or homestyle), 5 for $4.20 or $.89 each
– Franz regular sliced cracked wheat, homestyle wheat, or 100% whole wheat, 5 for $5.25 or $1.09 each
In addition to these bread selections, you’ll also find cookies, jam, croutons, breadsticks, sweet breads (i.e. apple strudel!), English muffins, bagels, chips, tortillas, donuts, milk, eggs, potato salad and more. We like Franz breads because many are made without high fructose corn syrup, and every now and then you’ll also find special organic breads (just call ahead).
Finally, spend a certain amount at the register and get a free item from their special bread rack. There are definite savings to be had at your local Franz Bakery outlet, so be sure to take a look around the next time you’re near. And if you want to do a free bakery tour, they still do that as well!
Don’t forget to use promo code ‘TASTE’ now until Monday, August 31st!