Here’s your quick guide for the best cheapo bets for this first week of September…
Monday, August 31st
– McMenamins Last Monday History Pub Lecture at Kennedy School, 7:00pm. Free for all ages, bring some canned food to donate to the Oregon Food Bank. Tonight’s topic is “Big-League Baseball in Slabtown, 1901-1956.”
– Artists Repertory Theatre “Season Showcase Night” Preview. Description from web site:
“Want to learn more about any of the plays coming up in our 2009/10 season? Come by our Morrison Stage on Monday, August 31 at 6pm. Allen and Jon will be talking about the shows and answering your questions. We’ll also be able to answer your subscription and ticketing questions – so that you feel completely informed and comfortable about your ticket buying decisions. This informal event is free and open to the public.”
Tuesday, September 1st
– Hillsboro’s First Tuesday in downtown Hillsboro, 6:00pm – 8:00pm
Wednesday, September 2nd
– Forest Grove’s First Wednesday, 5:00 – 8:00pm
Thursday, September 3rd
– Portland’s First Thursday in downtown Portland, Old Town & the Pearl, generally from 6:00pm – 8:30pm at various galleries and venues
– Reading Frenzy’s Staff Show and Tell 15th birthday, 6:00pm at 921 SW Oak Street in downtown Portland
– Finally, end the evening with a free concert by the Oregon Symphony at Tom McCall Waterfront Park. The Portland Taiko Drummers start things off at 4:30, followed by a 5:00 performance by the Portland Youth Philharmonic and then the 7:00pm Oregon Symphony Concert
Other Quick Blurbs
– OSU Food Innovation Center Yogurt Taste Test, $30 compensation if selected:
The Sensory and Consumer Group at the Oregon State University Food Innovation Center is looking for participants for a yogurt taste test to take place on Wednesday, Sept. 9th. The taste test is about 30 minutes and the compensation is $30. Test times run from 10am to 5pm. If you are interested, please click on the link below to submit a questionnaire. If you are selected to participate, we will contact you via email by Thursday, Sept. 3rd, and then give you a confirmation email the day before the test.
We are looking very specifically at your yogurt usage habits. Please be honest.
For those who are new to the email list, please note that we cannot contact everyone who sent in a questionnaire. You will not hear back from us for each test as each consumer will not be selected every time. We only contact those who were selected to participate and will be sending out those confirmation emails by Sept. 3rd.
Photo ID will be required to participate in this test.
Consumers will be contacted ONLY if they are selected to participate. We do not accept walk-ins. You must have a scheduled appointment.
The Food Innovation Center is located in the River District/Pearl District area with free parking, close to the Chinatown MAX stop or the 10th Ave at Marshall Streetcar stop. We are about one quarter mile north of the Broadway bridge on Naito parkway (Front Ave.).
We have a 24 hour cancellation policy. If you have been confirmed for a space, but cannot make it for some reason and do not call to cancel at least 24 hours in advance, we will remove you from our email list. We work hard to get ready for these tests and need to count on our participants to show up. Thank you for your understanding.
– It’s nearing the end of the summer and we are giving away two tickets to the NW Film Center. Like our other giveaways, all you need to do is email us with the subject line “NW Film” and we’ll randomly select from all emails received. Enter by this Sunday, September 6th and we’ll announce the winner next week on our Monday, September 7th Labor post.
– This is the last day for Restaurant.com’s latest promotion. Get 80% off every $25 gift certificate and pay just $2.00. Use promo code ‘TASTE’ now through midnight.