Plenty of summer weather for this weekend’s cheap events, including:
– Visit any Portland area Panera Bread bakery-cafe on Thursday and indulge in free tastes of their new fall flavors like salads, sandwiches and brownies. Bonus: get the Wednesday edition of the Oregonian page A6 and clip out a coupon for a free cup of Panera Bread coffee.
– Free introductory yoga classes this Thursday, Friday and Saturday at the Julie Lawrence Yoga Center
– Check out the 2009 Volunteer Expo Connect this Friday, September 11th from 11:00am – 2:00pm at Pioneer Courthouse Square. Enjoy live music and ice cream and connect with more than 80 nonprofits.
– Beaverton’s Elsie Stuhr Center holds their Annual Harvest Bazaar fund raiser this Friday and Saturday.
– Saturday and Sunday is the 10th annual West Linn Arts Festival featuring art, music, food and drink.
– Saturday is also Belmont’s Street Fair, happening from 10:00am – 5:00pm with vendors, music, sales, entertainment and more.
– City of Tigard celebrates its 5th Annual Family Fest with a free 5k fun run, free breakfast, block party, free barbecue, family activities and more.
– Tri-Met celebrates the opening of the new MAX Green Line with free rides, free food, music, street performers and a whole lot more at Pioneer Square, Lents Station and at Clackamas Town Center.
– The 5th Annual Widmer Brothers Oktoberfest also takes place this Saturday, with free admission and music starting at 3:00pm.
– Willamette Week’s new Cheapskate deals feature a free breakfast, a free food-preservation class, free Pilates classes and more.
POTC Spotlight: Aroundthesunblog
By now most of you should know about the fantastic web site Aroundthesunblog, which provides weekly “ideas for saving money in Portland, OR and beyond.” The Portland based author posts a comprehensive list of free weekend activities and things to do for people and families on a budget. Since starting the blog a few years ago, the site has been featured in the Oregonian, on the local news and most recently in Sunset magazine (September 2009). The blog inspired the creation of this web site, so a lot of what you’ll find here is due in large part to Aroundthesunblog. In essence, this spotlight is really just a big plug to encourage you to continue visiting her web site and to give a big thanks for all of her hard work. And of course to offer congratulations to the birth of her first child!
This also coincides with the first birthday of our web site, started one year ago today. And to celebrate, we’re giving away two tickets to the Portland Art Museum—just send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading “Portland Art” and we’ll randomly draw from all entries and announce the winner in our Thursday, September 17th post. Thanks again for reading and for supporting this web site and others like it!