- First off, bummer news for those of us that signed on to become a Fan of Woody to get our free burger at TGI Fridays…yes, you’ll still get your email burger coupon, but no, you won’t be able to redeem it next month because the one and only Oregon TGIF location at Washington Square has officially closed. Good luck going to Northern California and Vancouver, Washington, cause those have also shut their doors as well.
– Willamette Week’s new Cheap Skate Deal Box includes free tastings of a Scandinavian spirit, the first ever Oregon Children’s Theatre costume sale, a free concert and more.
– Coffee lovers—get paid for your opinions. Read the details below and then click here to fill out the qualifying questionnaire.
The Sensory and Consumer Group at the Oregon State University Food Innovation Center is looking for participants for a coffee taste test to take place on Tuesday, Oct. 6th. The taste test is about 30-45 minutes and the compensation is $35. Test times run from 9:15am to 4:15pm. If you are interested, please click on the link below to submit a questionnaire. If you are selected to participate, we will contact you via email on Sept. 30th where you must confirm your intent to participate. We will then send you another reminder email the day before the test.
For those who are new to the email list, please note that we cannot contact everyone who sent in a questionnaire. You will not hear back from us for each test as each consumer will not be selected every time. We only contact those who were selected to participate and will be sending out those confirmation emails by Sept. 30th.
Photo ID will be required to participate in this test.
– There are a bevy of activities and events going on this weekend, too much to list, so check out our Calendar tab or go to Aroundthesunblog. Among the highlights: Taoist Tai Chi Society 20-year celebration, the Smithsonian Magazine Museum Day 2009 (download a pass to get free admission to various museums in the Portland area), the Oregon Polish Festival for free music, dance and polka!, free admission to the Portland Art Museum this Friday evening, McMenamins free Oktoberfest festival at the Grand Lodge and Edgefield, and Welcome the Rain celebration at Rigler Elementary School.
– And don’t forget, tonight from 5:00pm – 8:00pm is the world’s largest ice cream social at Cold Stone Creamery, where you can score a free 3 oz. Make-A-WishÂ® Creationâ„¢ with a Donation.
POTC Spotlight: Next Adventure
Portland is a mecca for outdoor sports and adventures, so naturally we have a wide selection of stores to choose from for general purposes like Sports Authority, REI and Dick’s Sporting Goods. For other specific pursuits, you could also choose stores that specialize in bicycling, camping, water sports, running and more. There are not a lot of places for used gear, however (try Goodwill or Play It Again Sports). Thankfully, 12 years ago two guys named Deek and Bryan set up shop in SE Portland that featured a bunch of used gear and equipment and very attractive prices. And through those years, the shop has grown in physical space and in the amount of offerings.
Next Adventure is that store, and today you’ll still find used gear and equipment, but you’ll also get dealer close-outs, samples and new name-brand stuff on three floors at cheap or very reasonable prices. Check out the departments: apparel, snow sports, water sports, camping/backpacking, dog gear, disc golf, climbing, bicycling, service, rentals and much more. And for additional discount savings, ask about any special gear package incentives they have for camping, skiing, kayaking, etc.
This weekend is the perfect opportunity to check Next Adventure out, since the store will be having the “Mountains to Oceans Benefit Event,” which brings Portland Mountain Rescue and the Surfrider Foundation to offer information and free educational classes. If this weren’t enough incentive, maybe the monetary one will entice you more: this weekend is also Next Adventure’s Warehouse Clearance sale for summer items and first crack at winter goods, at savings up to 70% off.
Next Adventure is open Monday-Friday 10:00am – 7:00pm; Saturday 10:00am – 6:00pm; and Sunday from 11:00am – 5:00pm. Find them at the corner of SE Stark Street and Grand Avenue. While there, walk up a block to Andy & Bax and explore their store full of military surplus and other outdoor gear. Similar neighboring stores include Bike N’ Hike, River City Bicycles, and the Portland Running & Walking Company.