Weekend Stuff To Do:
Aroundthesunblog has you covered, but be sure not to miss out on these:
– The Carhartt Store celebrates the weekend with a grand opening event Friday – Sunday complete with free BBQs, Carhartt Scratch-Its to the first 500 customers each day, live radio broadcasts, free prize giveaways and much more. Find the Carhartt store across from IKEA at Cascade Station.
– It’s the 58th Annual Greek Festival with live music, dancing, handicrafts, children’s activities, tours and of course their famous Greek dinners and pastries.
– Friday night is the Central Eastside Arts District First Friday, with multiple venues showcasing art openings. The Children’s Museum offers up free admission between 5:00pm – 8:00pm Friday; and also on Friday, check out “Boilerplate: History’s Mechanical Marvel” at Powell’s City of Books in downtown at 7:30pm. Too cool!
– Saturday and Sunday, get free admission to the Portland Art Museum and/or the Pittock Mansion by showing your Bank of America ATM, debit or credit card as part of BoA’s ‘Museums on Us’ promotion.
– Sunday is OMSI First Sunday, and that means admission to the museum is just $2.00 all day.
– Sunday is also the Portland Marathon—go out and cheer on the runners and walkers, or volunteer to help out at the aid stations, this is traditionally one of the nation’s most organized and family-friendly marathons (and if you want to run it, sorry, registration is closed so start training for 2010!).
– Willamette Week’s new Cheap Skate Deal box features free ‘Diplomat’ sandwiches opening day at Portland Meadows; buy one, get one free pies for students at Stone Pie Joeâ€™s; a free rock concert; and cheap drinks.
POTC Spotlight: Free Night of Theater
You gotta get in on this!! The title explains it all, go see quality theater around the Portland area for absolutely nada! This is the fifth year of this fantastic promotion to encourage people to see and experience live theater, and this year the lineup of shows is once again impressive. Pick and choose from performances such as:
– A Chorus Line
– Blithe Spirit
– Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
– Death of a Saleman
– You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown
– and many, many more
Shows are offered in Portland, Hood River, Vancouver, Lake Oswego, Hillsboro and Beaverton throughout the month of October. Of course, the free tickets are limited and shows will sell out, so be sure to get online at 11:00am October 1st (um, that’s today!) and pick your show. It’s a very simple process, all you really need is an email address and you’ll get a reservation confirmation by email that will get you two admissions into the show.
We did this last year and were exposed to some wonderful theater that we would not have seen otherwise. It’s a great opportunity to try out a different company or a different style of performance with no strings attached—the hope for the organizers, Theatre Communications Group , is that you’ll step up to support the theater arts with frequent ticket purchases, but of course that is all up to you.
And if you get shut out by this first day of free theater tickets, do not fret…tickets will be released on October 1st, 4th, 8th and 15th, so keep checking back for additional opportunities.
Make it a cheap date night or let your friends know about this and make it a group outing—Portland is rich with talented performers and theater and this is your chance to experience it. Hopefully we’ve sold you on this, go reserve your tickets here now, thanks for reading and enjoy this first weekend of October.