We’ll be taking a much needed vacation this week and therefore this will be our last post until December 31st. Enjoy!
Article of the Week:
“Take a big bite out of grocery bills“, from MSN/Money. Provides tips and secrets for saving money on groceries.
Monday, December 21st:
– It’s the last few days of the national traveling exhibit “Abraham Lincoln: A Man of His Time, A Man for All Times,” on display at Multnomah County Central Library’s 3rd floor Collins Gallery. Free. Runs until December 23rd.
Tuesday, December 22nd:
– It’s the OSU Beavers vs. the BYU Cougars in the MAACO Las Vegas Bowl, 5:00pm kick off on ESPN. Catch the action with other Beaver fans at Hayden’s Lakefront Grill and the following McMenamins’ locations: Bagdad Theater, St Johns Theater & Pub, Lola’s Room and the Mission Theater.
– Violinist concert at Community Music Center Auditorium, 7:30pm. No admission required, but donations will be accepted.
Wednesday, December 23rd:
– Check out the opening exhibit “The Shape of Time: Accumulations of Place and Memory,” at the Oregon Jewish Museum in their new expanded space at 1953 NW Kearney Street.
Thursday, December 24th:
– It’s Christmas Eve and it is also the second-to-last night of lights on Peacock Lane (the last night is New Year’s Eve); tonight the lights will be on from 6:00pm – midnight. A Portland tradition, as always, free!
Spotlight: Red Robin
We love our Red Robin burgers, and are able to afford eating out every now and then utilizing these strategies:
– Red Robin Happy Happy Hour, from 3:00pm – 6:00pm and from 8:00pm – close Monday through Friday. Available in the bar area only, take advantage of half-price ‘Shareable Starters;’ $1 off pints, bottled beer, ‘Masterful Mixology’ drinks and mixed drinks; $2 off Mondo beers and wine; and $3 off Margaritas.
Shareable starters include:
Guacamole, Salsa & Chips, $4.49
Bueno con Queso, $4.99
Towering Onion Rings, $7.99
Fresh-Fried Cheese Sticks, $7.99
Nacho Ordinary Chili Nachos, $8.99 (with grilled chicken, $9.99)
RR’s Buzzard Wings, $8.99
Creamy Artichoke & Spinach Dip, $9.29
Just-In-Quesadilla, $10.79 (vegetarian is $8.79)
Disclaimer: the above items might not be available at all locations, and the price may vary as well. The Red Robin Happy Hour is relatively new to the restaurant and could be pulled or altered at any time, so call the location you are going to first to ensure hours and menu.
– Splitting a burger. The burgers are pretty big enough as it is, and with unlimited fry refills, you can get full in a hurry. The nice aspect of splitting one burger is that both diners will receive their own half-burger basket with french fries, and you can still ask for a fry refill.
– Sign up for the Red Robin E-Club. Sign up with your email address and every so often you’ll receive offers for free food, new promotion announcements and coupons. The first offer you’ll receive is $3 off your next visit.
The main reason to sign up though is to get a voucher for a free burger on your birthday—and you don’t have to go on your birthday since the voucher is good for a two-week period. It’s a free burger with no strings attached.
– Gift card bonuses. See our previous post on gift cards. Every year around the holidays, Red Robin has pushed their gift cards with an extra incentive for the buyer: purchase a $25 gift card and receive a $5 bonus card. The catch is that you must use the bonus card in the first month of the year, but for a ‘free’ $5 that’s no problem on our end. You can still purchase the gift card with bonus bucks this week at your local Red Robin outlet.
And there you have it! Enjoy the week and we’ll be back for our final post for the 2009 on New Year’s Eve. Since we will be without internet access for a while, please know that we will answer any emails or submissions as soon as we return! Thanks again for reading and for your support.
Save 80% off Restaurant.com $25 Gift Certificate orders.
Use code SANTA and Pay $2 through 12/25/09.