Weekend on the Cheap:
– Portland Opera at the Multnomah County Central Library this Friday from 12:00pm – 1:00pm in the U.S. Bank room. Free.
– The Portland Seafood & Wine Festival runs this Friday from 2:00pm – 10:00pm and on Saturday from 12:00pm – 9:00pm. Adult tickets are $12.00 each with a portion going to the Oregon Chapter of the National MS Society. There will be a $2 discount price on tickets purchased within the first 2 hours of the festival each day. Food item prices range from $1 and up. Wine sampling starts at .50 and prices for menu items varies from $2 to $15.00. While this event has the potential to have costs add up, we are including this on our Weekend on the Cheap because of the value you receive. Plus, if you are one of the first 500 people each day through the gates, you’ll receive a commemorative wine glass to use at the festival and then take home with you!
– Portland Children’s Museum First Friday free admission from 5:00pm – 8:00pm.
– Bank of America Museums on Us weekend: Bank of America cardholders can receive free admission to the Portland Art Museum and the Pittock Mansion this Saturday and Sunday during normal hours. Just show your debit, credit or bank card to get one free admission.
– Viking Pancake Breakfast! From web site: “What better way to start the day than with a plate of delicious, all-you-can pancakes? Our popular breakfast also includes sides of eggs, sausages, fresh fruit, applesauce, orange juice, tea and bottomless coffee – all served up with Norwegian charm from 8:30 am to 1:00pm Adults: $6. Children 5-12: $3 (under 5: free). Children’s Nordic story time in the library from 10-11am.” At Norse Hall, 111 NE 11th Avenue this Sunday.
– Chips and dips tastings this Saturday and Sunday from 11:00am – 5:00pm at all area New Seasons Markets.
– OMSI First Sunday means $2 admission for all at OMSI during regular hours.
– Superbowl Sunday: it’s Superbowl XLIV, catch the action (or lack thereof) at a local watering hole, at home with some friends or on the big screen with new friends at a local McMenamins theater.
– If the Superbowl isn’t your style, and saving money is, then check out “Bargain Hunting 101: The Mother of All Clearance Sales” where 50 of Portland’s best and most unique boutiques and vendors come together for a huge end-of-season clearance sale. Sunday from 12:00pm – 5:00pm at the Crystal Ballroom. It’s the Mother of all clearance sales and admission is free!
– Willamette Week’s new Cheap Skate Deal Box includes a heads-or-tails free meal, a free screening of Star Trek, a free concert by Sea Wolf and more.
Spotlight: McGrath’s Fish House
We sat in the bar and one of us ordered from the regular menu while the other ordered from the bar menu. We timed our visit to coincide with their happy hour:
Happy Hour (in the bar only; no drink minimum required)
Monday – Thursday 3:00pm – 6:00pm and from 9:00pm – close
Friday 3:00pm – 5:00pm
Asian Ahi Nachos
Ponzi Salmon Stack
Pear, Blue Cheese and Walnut Salad
Pesto Artichoke Pizza Crackers
Blue Cheese Potato Wedges
Crispy Turkey Club Rolls
Pair of Oyster Shooters
Calamari Wasabi Caesar Wrap
$3.50 Well Drinks
$4.50 Specialty Teas
$4.50 Bloody Mary
$3.00 Glass of domestic brews
$4.00 Gusto size of domestic brews
$4.00 Glass of microbrew
$5.00 Gusto size of microbrew
$3.50 Glass of La Terre wine: Chardonnay, Merlot, Cabernet, White Zinfandel
Menu prices are reasonable and in addition to seafood, they offer chicken, pasta, steak, and sandwiches. Adult entrees include sourdough bread, fresh steamed veggies, choice of garden salad or coleslaw AND your choice of: red potatoes, penne pasta, rice pilaf, fish house fries, cottage cheese or sliced tomatoes. In place of the regular salad, you can also upgrade (for a nominal charge) to other starters like clam chowder, Fisherman’s stew, petite shrimp Louis or a pear, bleu cheese and walnut salad.
If you have little ones, McGrath’s has a kid’s menu with meals starting at $3.99. Finally, sign up for their e-club and around your birthday you’ll receive a voucher good for $10 off your next meal (must be used within two weeks of birthday). And with their current special of Crab, Steak and Prawns for just $12.99 (plus all the accompaniments above), you can’t go wrong!
McGrath’s has locations in Vancouver, Milwaukie and Beaverton, as well further south in Salem, Corvallis, Eugene and Bend. Their Crab Celebration ends next week on Thursday, February 11th (we can’t have specials like that for Valentine’s Day Weekend now can we?!). Enjoy the weekend and Go Saints! Or Colts! Just make it a great game, please!