Weekend on the Cheap:
-Premiere of “Tick Tack Type” opens tonight, Thursday March 11th for four shows only. Performances will be March 11th, 12th and 13th at 8:00pm and March 14th at 3:00pm. All tickets are free and must be reserved by emailing email@example.com. Limited to two tickets per request.
– Book reading of “You Say Tomato, I Say Shut Up,” at Powell’s City of Books on Friday at 7:30pm, free.
– 20th annual Buckman Art Show and Sell this Friday and Saturday. General admission is $5 Friday 5:00pm – 9:00pm and $2 (suggested donation) on Saturday 10:00am – 5:00pm.
– Free Family Day at Washington County Museum on Saturday from 10:00am – 2:00pm. From web site: “March 13: This month, find out about quilting and make your own quilt patterns with volunteers from the Westside Quilters Guild. Dress up in pioneer clothing and play with traditional toys such as Jacobs Ladders and pop-guns.
Local artists from the printmaking non-profit Print Arts Northwest will lead the art activities including “good luck books” with stamping, leprechaun Marionettes, green shamrock bookmarks, paper bag puppets. Free admission, cookies and juice. Donations welcome. Join us for a fun-filled day packed with art and history activities.”
– 2010 Portland Urban Iditarod runs this Saturday; though all slots have been filled, it is free to watch the adventure unfold as a spectator. See web site for route info and details. Keep Portland Weird, yay!
– Trinity Episcopal Cathedral will hold a Lenten Eucharist set to the music of The Boss, Bruce Springsteen, this Saturday at 5:00pm. Free, but be sure to arrive at least a half hour early to ensure a seat!
– New Seasons Market weekend tastings for corned beef, cabbage and potatoes, Saturday and Sunday from 11:00am – 5:00pm.
– It’s Ahnold in the kick-butt greatest film of his storied career!! Conan The Destroyer plays at 11:00pm Saturday night at McMenamins Bagdad Theater. Presented by SuperTrash, admission is just three bucks for this cinematic masterpiece!
– Portland Art Museum Family Day this Sunday with free admission for all from 12:00pm – 5:00pm and special family-friendly activities.
– Sunday night Curious Comedy Theater’s Stand Up Showcase & Open Mic, 9:00pm start time, free.
– Willamette Week’s new Cheap Skate Deal Box includes free introductory yoga classes, Ecoroof Portland 2010, a free concert and more.
– For a complete rundown of free events this weekend, please visit Aroundthesunblog
Spotlight: A Frugal Salute to Willamette Week
Willamette Week! One of Portland’s free weekly newspapers, available all around the metro area every Wednesday at transit centers, libraries, stores, restaurants and more. We look forward every week to Willamette Week, especially since we had to cancel our delivery of the Oregonian (due to budget belt-tightening constraints, but if we win that Powerball jackpot, we just may reconsider!). If you haven’t had a chance to pick up a recent copy, here’s a reminder of what you’ll find:
– Cheap Skate: The Best Cheap And Free Deals In Town
– Free stuff and giveaways like concert tickets, movie DVDs and more
– Ads for store sales and special clearance events
– Classifieds for jobs, rentals, personals, for sale and more
– Feature cover stories on Portland politics, community, personalities, exposes and investigations
– Free movie screenings. We’ve seen three methods of Willamette Week offering free movie tickets: picking up complimentary passes at the office, sending an entry via mail for a drawing, or getting an internet code to download the passes online.
– Special sections throughout the year, including Best of Portland, Gift Guides, Summer Guide, Fall Arts Guide, Restaurant Guide and this week’s Cheap Eats 2010 (get your copy now!)
Here are two of our favorite past cover stories, and an extra bonus for golfing on the cheap!
– “Of Tees And T-Shirts: Golf that won’t cost you your savings or your sanity”
And there you have it, plenty of reasons to pick up your FREE copy of Willamette Week, every Wednesday around the Portland area! Enjoy the weekend and thanks for visiting!