Weekend on the Cheap:
- Title Wave Used Bookstore 22nd anniversary sale this Saturday. All used material at 55% off, 10:00am – 4:00pm.
- Haggen Food Show this Saturday from 11:00am – 4:00pm with free product samples at all area locations.
- Oregon Historical Society Family Day, two children admitted free with one paid adult admission. View the Smithsonian exhibit, “Becoming American.” Explore immigration from the unique perspective of teenagers. Saturday 11:00am – 3:00pm.
- McMinnville Third Saturday Art & Wine Walk, Saturday 2:00pm – 8:00pm.
- It’s National Corndog Day this Saturday, celebrate by eating corndogs! See web site for public gatherings.
- Portland 2010 biennial exhibition of contemporary artwork, continues with an opening reception this Saturday from 6:00pm – 10:00m at the Templeton Building and Leftbank Project.
- It’s World Water Day 2010 this Sunday, and Portland’s World Trade Center Plaza will the the scene for music, exhibits, speakers and a ‘Walk for Water’ fund raising walk.
- 16th annual Reading Fair, this Sunday from 11:00am – 3:00pm at the University of Portland Chiles Center features arts and crafts, games, storytelling performances and more. Free and open to the public.
- “The Man Who Ate His Boots,” book reading at Powell’s City of Books this Sunday at 7:30pm, free. Learn about the whole story of the search for the Northwest Passage.
- Willamette Week’s new Cheap Skate Deal Box includes a by-donation Pilates mat class, $2.50 pints of house brews at Lompoc Brewing, a free screening of the classic flick “Roman Holiday” and more.
- For a complete rundown of free events and activities for this weekend, please visit Aroundthesunblog.
Spotlight: Saving at Burgerville
Around the Portland area, there are plenty of fast-food burger joints competing for your hard-earned dollar from Micky-Dees to BK and Wendy’s to Jack in the Box. There’s also our home-grown Burgerville, which has not jumped on the bandwagon for “Dollar items” and cheaper menus. Rather, the focus at Burgerville is on quality, local ingredients and sustainable business practices. Here are a few ways of saving some money on your future visits to Burgerville:
- Become a Fan on Facebook. Get updates and enter your name for Tasting Tuesday, you could be one of the lucky ones to try new menu items for free!
- Coupons part 1: you won’t find them in your mailbox or in the paper, but you could buy the latest Chinook Book and find a BOGO coupon for a Tillamook Cheeseburger and a BOGO coupon for a milkshake or smoothie. Chinook Books cost $20, and we highly recommend the purchase!
- Coupons part 2: point your web browser to BestofBurgerville for seasonal coupons you can download and print out. This month’s promo is for a free basket upgrade: order the Pickled Pepper Cheeseburger and get a regular size fries or side salad and a regular drink, free. Past promotions have included free Rosemary Shoestring Fries with purchase and BOGO milkshake coupons.
- Coupons part 3: sign up for and receive Burgerville’s newsletter to be the first to learn about Burgerville news, special offers and events. Granted, it might be the same coupons from Facebook and Best of Burgerville, but we’ll take what we can get!
- Coupons part 4: Burgerville is active in the community and you never know where they might pop up at community events. Years ago they handed out coupons for free Blackberry Milkshakes at the Portland Bridge Pedal event; where could they strike next?
- Are you a senior citizen? If so, save 10% on your total purchase every day, just let them know when ordering!
- Take the survey printed on the receipt—it takes less than 5 minutes to fill out their online survey, and on your next visit you will receive 15% off your total bill!
- Finally, here’s the best way to save: join them! Crew members receive an employee discount, corporate wouldn’t officially divulge the specific discount to us, but unofficially we’ve been told that it is very generous. So if you really love your Burgerville (and enjoy those billboards declaring the last Burgerville for 4,672 miles is at the next exit), click here to print out an application.
That’s all for this week, enjoy the sunny weekend and thanks for stopping by! We do this blog to share our love of Portland “on-the-cheap,” so spread the word and drop us an email to tell us how we are doing or what you’d like to see in future posts. Cheers
Restaurant.com gift certificates at 70% off; use promo code ‘LUCKY’ at checkout to get $10 gift certificates for $3. Not as good as last week’s 80% off, but still a great savings!