WEEKEND ON THE CHEAP:
– 90th Annual Benson Tech Show this Thursday and Friday from 6:00pm – 9:00pm. Free admission.
– Friends of the Hillsboro Library Used Book Sale kicks off on Friday for a ten-day run of cheap books, videos, DVDs and more at the main branch. Look for a special 50-cents off coupon near the info desk that you can use once per day.
– Jackpot Records Film & Music Festival final free film screening on Friday at the Hollywood Theater “Mellodrama–The Mellotron Movie.” Free.
– Asian Day this Friday at Pacific University’s East Lawn and Trombley Square in Forest Grove. Free admission, starts at 4:00pm and features calligraphy, Japanese Taiko Drum Performance, Chinese Tai Chi, Asian Fashion Show and more.
– Submission: PSU Friends of History 2010 Endowed Lecture in History with Sir David Cannadine this Friday at Portland State University’s Hoffman Hall. The topic of his lecture is “Churchill, Anglo-America and the “Special Relationship.” Free admission, starts at 7:00pm.
– Oregon Potters Association Ceramic Showcase 2010 this Friday – Sunday at the Oregon Convention Center. Free admission to the nation’s largest show and sale of pottery, sculpture, garden art, home accessories and other works in clay exhibited in 150+ booths plus musical performances and wine tastings.
-Oregon State University Extension Services Family Living & Learning Day this Saturday from 8:30am – 1:00pm at Reedville School & Reedville Presbyterian Church in Aloha. Free workshops and activities presented in English and Spanish.
– Kentucky Derby Party and the Oregon Derby at Portland Meadows race track. Make a wager, wear your fancy hat and enjoy the festivities.
– Free children’s clothing swap for ages 0-13 years at Multnomah County’s Midland Library from 2:00pm – 3:00pm and then from 3:15pm – 4:30 there will be a teen and adult clothing swap.
– Wordstock Book-to-Film Festival at McMenamins Bagdad and Kennedy School theaters showing film favorites like “The Princess Bride,” “Fight Club” and “High Fidelity.” Check this web site for show times (enter key word ‘wordstock’ and hit the search button). Admission is $3 and films run Friday – Sunday.
– Bank of America Museums on Us free admission for card holders to the Portland Art Museum & Pittock Mansion this Saturday and Sunday. Just bring your photo ID and any Bank of America card to get in for free!
– Crafty Wonderland Super Colossal Spring Sale this Saturday and Sunday at the Oregon Convention Center, Exhibit Hall D. Free admission, and goodie bags for the first 200 shoppers each day.
– Clackamas County Master Gardeners Spring Garden Fair this Saturday and Sunday at the Clackamas County Event Center (Fairgrounds) in Canby—this time we have the right date! Shop over 185 Northwest nurseries, planting accessories, unique artisan quality garden art and other garden delights.
– 26th annual Cinco de Mayo Festival this Saturday and Sunday from 11:00am – 11:00pm. General admission is $6 for adults, $3 for children and $4 for seniors. Located at downtown’s Waterfront Park.
– OMSI offers admission for just $2 this first Sunday. See their feature exhibit “Space: A Journey to our Future.”
– Willamette Week’s new Cheap Skate Deal Box features free acupuncture, free comic books and a Parkour gym open house.
– For a list of other totally free events and happenings, please visit Aroundthesunblog, updated every Thursday evening.
– Submission from Javier: Krispy Kreme lowers their price on doughnuts after 9:00pm to $4.95 per dozen every night!
SPOTLIGHT: ROCK BOTTOM BREWERY HAPPY HOUR
Rock Bottom Restaurant and Brewery has one outpost in Oregon located on the MAX tracks in downtown Portland. There are pool tables, darts, plenty of HD TVs to catch the game and live entertainment every night with no cover.
Here’s a listing of their food happy hour menu:
Homemade Guacamole & Chips
Rock Bottom Wings
Classic Mac n’ Cheese
Spicy Spinach Cheese Dip
Brew Burger Sliders
BBQ Pulled Pork Sliders
Grilled Chicken Sliders
Ball Park Pretzel
Shrimp Ceviche Cocktail
Smoked Chicken Enchiladas
Chicken Caesar Salad
Happy hour runs Monday – Friday from 2:00pm – 6:00pm; Sunday – Thursday 9:00pm – close; and Friday and Saturday 11:00pm – close. Happy hour is available in the bar only and requires a one-drink minimum.
Join the Rock Bottom Mug Club and receive rewards, invitations to events, a special gift on your birthday and a special Mug Club mug to drink from on each visit.