Article of the Week:
“How to Be a Savvy Cheapskate,” from US News and World Report profiling Jeff Yeager, “America’s Ultimate Cheapskate,” about the most effective ways to economize.
Monday, May 3rd:
– The Friends of the Hillsboro Library continues their Spring Used Book Sale this week until Sunday, May 9th. Look for a special 50-cents off coupon near the information desk that you may use once each day.
Tuesday, May 4th:
– Ben and Jerry’s Ice Cream Bonnaroo Flavor Release Party with giveaways, music and free samples. Stop by your participating shop between 5:00pm – 7:00pm.
– Hillsboro First Tuesday with Walters Cultural Arts Center opening reception at 6:00pm. Free.
– Free public lecture “Eating Well As A Family,” 6:00pm at Tuality Health Education Center in Hillsboro. Free.
– Book reading of “The Roadmap to 100,”
7:30pm 7:00pm at Powell’s Books at Cedar Hills Crossing. Free. From web site: “From Randall Stickrod, a founding editor of Wired magazine, and longevity expert Walter M. Bortz, comes The Roadmap to 100 (Macmillan), which uses cutting-edge research to show that we need to take a second look at our preconceptions about growing old.”
Wednesday, May 5th:
– Cinco de Mayo Festival at Waterfront Park with special activities and musical performances all day 11:00am – 11:00pm. Admission is just $6 per adult.
– 4th Annual Grandparents Raising Grandchildren Retreat, 9:00am – 2:30pm. Free lunch and door prizes, pre-registration is required by calling Loriann McNeill at (503) 988-3646 to reserve your space.
– World Forestry Center Wondrous Wednesday offers $2 admission for all to the Discovery Museum. Ride the wet-free rapids, try your smoke-jumping skills and discover interesting things about forests all over the world.
Thursday, May 6th:
– PCC Brown Bag Lunch and Learn Series at 12:00pm at the Multnomah County Central library. Free lecture “Managing Conflict: Tips, Tricks, Traps, Tools.”