WEEKEND ON THE CHEAP:
– Starbucks Happy Hour: starting on Friday, May 7 – Sunday, May 16, enjoy a half-price Frappuccino® blended beverage at participating Starbucks in the afternoon from 3:00pm – 5:00pm. Look for the Starbucks in Safeway stores and show your Safeway Club card for the discount, or call your local store to see if they are participating in the promotion.
– Willamette Week’s Best New Band Showcase, Friday night at Berbati’s, free admission, doors open at 8:00pm and show begins at 9:00pm. 21 and over only. Experience the bands Sallie Ford & the Sound Outside, Typhoon and Deelay Ceelay.
– Children’s Museum First Friday free admission from 4:00pm – 8:00pm, thanks to a grant from the Target Corporation.
– Central Eastside Arts District First Friday Art Openings, 5:00pm – 8:00pm.
– 5th Annual Cinco de Lebowski Celebration and Film Screening at McMenamins Bagdad Theater this Friday. This is a very popular event so get there early!
– Submission: 13th Annual Mother’s Day Plant and Garden Fair this Saturday from 9:00am – 4:00pm in the historical center of downtown Camas, WA. The fair offers 100 booths of fantastic plant and garden related items and a “Kid’s Zone” presented by Lowe’s. Running concurrently will be the Camas Community Health and Safety Fair from 9:00am – 1:00pm.
– PSA! National Association of Letter Carriers “Stamp Out Hunger” Food Drive this Saturday; place your non-perishable food donation by your mailbox early in the morning and help out the Oregon Food Bank and your community!
– Washington County Museum Free Family Second Saturday, 10:00am – 2:00pm and featuring Native American themed arts and crafts.
– National Train Day this Saturday from 10:00am – 4:00pm at Portland Union Station. Discover the railway and join the celebration at this free family event offering trains, exhibits, information, entertainment and more.
– Ralph Nader speaks at 8:00pm this Saturday at First Unitarian Church and offers his take on “Obama So Far . . . A New Strategy for Progressives,” suggested donation of $5 at the door. Click here for more information.
– Willamette Week’s new Cheap Skate Deal Box includes free writing workshops, a free tutorial on breathing techniques, 50% off wines at Ten 01 and more.
– For more free events and listings, please visit Aroundthesunblog.
SPOTLIGHT: PORTLAND COMMUNITY COLLEGE ART BEAT AND OTHER EVENTS
Portland Community College is a great place to earn your AA degree or to take Community Education classes, but it is also a great place to partake in cultural offerings, low-cost theater productions, spectator sporting events, career fairs, guest lectures and more. PCC campuses host the following signature events during the year: Black History Month, Winter Pow-Wow, Cascade Festival of African Arts, Semana de la Raza, Asian New Year Celebration and next week’s Art Beat.
Art Beat Week runs Monday, May 10th – Friday May 14th with art, dance, music, literature and theater – over 80 events at all three campuses and the Southeast Center. The public is invited and welcome to attend all these free events, please see web site for complete description and locations. Highlights include the PCC Sylvania Art Students’ Annual Exhibition, Art Beat reception, musical performances and this year’s featured artist Carson Ellis.
In addition to Art Beat, look out for these upcoming events:
– the Theater Arts department presents ‘All in the Timing’ this weekend and next at the Performing Arts Center at the Sylvania Campus. Tickets are $10 for general admission, $8 for students, seniors and PCC staff and faculty.
– PCC Theatre Arts all-student ‘Sundowners’ play (free)
– Spring Cleanup and e-Cycling Event this Saturday from 9:00am – 1:00pm
– PCC’s Global Business Speaker Series presents “Sustainable Global Solutions: Rethinking Business Relationships and Responsibilities” on Wednesday, May 12 in the Rock Creek Campus Event Center from 8:30am – 10:00am.
– If you are interested in non-credit community education classes, the new summer schedule has come out and can be picked up at PCC locations or viewed online.
We’re huge fans and supporters of our community colleges here in the area, so be sure to also check out the public events offered by Mt. Hood Community College, Clackamas Community College and Vancouver’s Clark College. That’s all for this week, Happy Mother’s Day!