ARTICLE OF THE WEEK:
“Penny-Pinching Is Fine, But It Won’t Save the Profligate,” by Alina Tugend and provided by the New York Times.
Monday, May 10th:
– Portland Community College’s Art Beat, all week long. See our previous blog for details or click on the web site.
– OMSI Science Pub, 7:00pm – 9:00pm at McMenamins Bagdad Theater. Tonight’s topic is “Searching for Other Earths,” $2 suggested donation, 21+, or minor with adult.
Tuesday, May 11th:
– Oregon Zoo $2 Second Tuesdays. Ride the MAX and show your ticket and receive an additional $1.50 off per rider.
– Submission: The PSU Friends of History will present a free lecture by Professor Bill Robbins on Oregon Statesman Monroe Sweetland at 7:00pm at PSU’s Smith Memorial Center, Room 238. Learn about how Monroe Sweetland contributed to PSU’s development into a modern, urban university.
Wednesday, May 12th:
– Imbrie Hall’s 9th Birthday Bash at McMenamins Cornelius Pass Roadhouse starting at 5:00pm with free music and food and drink specials.
– Dialogues with Don Quijote: A Method to his Madness?” A free series of three forum discussions sponsored by Oregon Humanities. Tonight’s talk is “Second Life, Avatars and Popular Media.” 7:30pm at Milagro Theatre. Call or email for reservations as seating is limited.
– 7:00pm Powell’s Books at Cedar Crossing book reading by Peter Buffet’s “Life is What You Make It.” Free.
Thursday, May 13th:
– Celebración de Mi Gente, Latino Celebration-Peña Folklórica, 6:00pm – 7:00pm at Vancouver’s Clark College in Penguin Union Building, 161. Free and open to the public to celebrate with dance, music and poetry.
– Music Millennium in-store performance at 6:00pm featuring Chris Pureka, free.
– TravelZoo has a special offer for Portland Timbers tickets at 50% for their match-up against Crystal Palace Baltimore at 7:00pm. Ticket prices (booked in multiples of two) are: $8.50 (reg. $17) for price Level 3 and $10.50 (reg. $21) for price Level 2.
– “The Titanic Awards” book reading at Powell’s City on Hawthorne, 7:30pm, free. Synopsis: “From the worst airport layout to the most confusing subway system to the most overrated tourist attraction, Lansky looks at flawed travel destinations with a gimlet eye and a sense of the absurd.”
Restaurant.com gift certificates are discounted 80% from Monday 5/10 – Thursday 5/13. Get $25 gift certificates for $2 when using promo code “ENJOY” at checkout.