WEEKEND ON THE CHEAP:
– Westside LINK Job and Career Fair, today Thursday May 13th from 12:00pm – 5:00pm at PCC’s Willow Creek Center, on the MAX line. Free.
– Final days of PCC’s Art Beat Week at all four campus locations.
– Grandparents Raising Grandchildren: A Day for You, this Friday from 9:00am – 2:00pm at Beaverton Foursquare Church. Free admission plus lunch is provided, but registration is required, please see web site for details.
– Guided Bike Ride: Downtown Gresham this Saturday, meet at 9:45am in the parking lot at Main City Park, 219 South Main Avenue. “Explore downtown Gresham by bike with guide Bud Rice, Gresham, a member of the Portland Wheelman Group. The free ride is about 8 miles long and is a slow, family ride open to all levels of riders.”
– The Big Whack Table Tennis Championship, this Saturday at Tualatin Hills Athletic Center in Beaverton. Think you got game? Then compete, this event is free for players and spectators.
– McMinnville Third Saturday Art and Wine Walk this Saturday from 2:00pm – 8:00pm, see web site for walking map. While in McMinnville, stop by the 11th annual UFO Festival (separate admission), which will have a UFO costume parade beginning at 1:00pm.
– Alberta Art Hop, Saturday 11:00am – 6:00pm. From press release: “ABC: Art Builds Community.” Over 15 blocks of NE Alberta Street will be closed to car traffic to accommodate 150+ artists, craftspeople, music, dance and theater performances, interactive art events along with food and other vendors. This is a free arts event for kids of all ages! Come have some fun!
– Oregon Historical Society Family Days this Saturday, up to 2 children (age 18 and under) free with each paid adult admission. Special programming “Becoming American,” 11:00am – 3:00pm.
– Submission: “The Lake Oswego Sustainability Advisory Board is excited to present a free showing of Matt Briggs’ outstanding film, Deep Green, on Saturday, May 15, at the Lake Grove Presbyterian Church, 4040 Sunset Drive, Lake Oswego. The feature-length documentary begins at 7:30 p.m. with an introduction by filmmaker Matt Briggs, a Lake Oswego resident. Briggs will also be available for questions following the showing.”
– 5th annual Mt Tabor Art Walk, this Saturday and Sunday from 11:00am – 5:00pm. See web site for map and locations, free.
– Northeast Sunday Parkways, this Sunday from 10:00am – 3:00pm, “a 2-way route of city streets open to walk, bike, roll, run, jump and skip – without having to watch out for cars! The 5.8-mile Northeast Portland Sunday Parkways route will have two loops, connecting Woodlawn, Alberta, Fernhill and Wilshire Parks. Food, music and activities are located in the parks and along the route.” Free.
– In keeping with the bicycling theme, meet Portland’s own ‘Adventure Dad’ Joe Kurmaskie this Sunday from 2:00pm – 4:00pm at the Hillsboro Main Library. If you can’t meet him in person, look out for his new Discovery Channel TV show “Adventure Dad.”
– Willamette Week’s new Cheap Skate Deal Box includes American Apparel’s rummage sale, Hemp History Week, $30 massages and more.
– For more free events and happenings this weekend, please visit Aroundthesunblog.
SPOTLIGHT: PORTLAND FREE OUTDOOR SUMMER CONCERTS
Start planning your summer for these free outdoor concerts and musical performances all over the Portland metro area!
Portland Parks and Recreation Concerts in the Park, begins July 6th and runs almost every day of the week until the end of August.
Portland Parks and Recreation Washington Park Summer Festival, concerts begin at 6:00pm starting on Thursday, August 5th and run every day until Saturday, August 14th.
Portland Festival Symphony brings their music to neighborhood parks beginning on July 31st until August 15th. All concerts begin at 6:00pm.
Pioneer Square Noon Tunes Summer Concert Series, 12:00pm – 1:00pm, every Tuesday and Thursday beginning on July 6th and running until August 19th.
Oregon Symphony in the Neighborhoods holds an annual tradition of launching the Oregon Symphony season around the beginning of September, and we’re hoping this year they’ll do the same. Look for it at Tom McCall Waterfront Park around Labor Day weekend.
Tualatin Hills Park and Recreation District Concerts and Theater In The Park, beginning June 24th and going through August 14th. All performances run 6:00pm – 8:00pm, except where noted.
Beaverton Last Tuesdays, community concerts, 5:00pm – 8:00pm. Key of Dreams plays June 29th; Michael Allen Harrison plays July 27th; and Patrick Lamb plays on August 31st. All concerts are played at the public plaza at the Round (Beaverton Central MAX stop).
Oregon City Carnegie Center Summer Concert Series, starting July 8th with the Willamette Falls Symphony. Concerts will play Thursday evenings until August 26th.
Tualatin Concerts on the Commons, every Friday night at 6:30pm beginning on July 2nd and running through August 27th.
City of West Linn Music in the Park: To Be Announced. 2009 concerts occurred Thursday nights beginning at 6:30pm at Tanner Creek Park.
Sandy Summer Sounds and Starlight Cinema, Wednesday nights on August 4th, 11th, 18th, 25th and September 1st on the Main Stage. Amphitheater musical performances occur Sundays on July 18th, July 25th, August 1st and August 8th.
City of Vancouver 2010 summer concerts in Esther Short Park, Wednesdays beginning at 12:00pm from July 7th – August 11th. The Riverview Six to Sunset Concerts are Thursday evenings from July 8th – August 12th. The music groups performing will be announced shortly.
Wilsonville Rotary Concert series has announced Johnny Limbo and the Lugnuts as the opening act for their 2010 summer concert series, see web site for further developments. Concerts in summer 2009 were held at Town Center Park Thursday nights at 6:30pm.
Showtime at Shute Park Summer Concert Series, every Thursday evening in Hillsboro, To Be Announced.
Chehalem Valley Chamber of Commerce Tune’s On Tuesday is currently planning for the fourth season of this weekly showcase. The 2010 season will kick off in Newberg’s Rotary Centennial Park on Tuesday, July 13th and run through Tuesday, August 31st, beginning at 6:30pm.
Sherwood’s Music on the Green happens every Wednesday night, 6:00pm at Stella Olsen Park beginning July 7th and running through August 18th.
Oregon Square lunch time concerts, located at NE Holladay Street between 7th and 8th, near Lloyd Center Mall. On Wednesdays during the 2009 summer, the square hosted free concerts from noon to 1:00pm. No word yet if they will be doing this for 2010, once we know we’ll post it here.
– Moonlight and Music Concert Series, every Sunday evening from 6:00pm – 7:30pm, beginning July 11th and running through August 29th at Millennium Plaza Park.
– Sounds of Summer Concert Series, every Wednesday night from 6:30pm – 8:30pm, July 7th – August 25th at Foothills Park.
– Summer Splash Concerts, every Friday from 12:00pm – 1:30pm, July 9th through August 27th at Millennium Plaza Park.
Have we missed any? Please leave a comment and we’ll update this post in the weeks to come!