WEEKEND ON THE CHEAP:
– A full weekend of Pedalpalooza activities includes family rides, adult-only rides, a scavenger hunt, workshops, clinics and more.
– World Cup opening matches begin this Friday and plenty of bars and establishments will open early to showcase this once-every-four-year event. For listings of where to watch, try PortlandSoccerBars, the Oregonian’s listings and Willamette Week’s picks. To join the masses outdoors, check out Director Park in downtown Portland this Saturday for the 11:30am USA vs England match.
– Rose City Used Book Fair this Friday and Saturday at the The Friendship Masonic Center. Admission is $2 or $1 plus one can of food for the Oregon Food Bank. Sponsored by The Portland Area Used Booksellersâ€™ Association.
– Cirque du Cycling street festival celebrates this Saturday from 12:00pm – 7:00pm with a free family bike ride, parade, racing and more. Find it on Mississippi Avenue.
– Rose Festival events: Grand Floral Parade, Portland Festival of Flowers, Lloyd Center/Portland Rose Society 122nd Annual Spring Rose Show, Milk Carton Boat Races, Dragon Boat races and the final weekend of the Waterfront Village, see web site for complete details.
– Free Family Day 2nd Saturdays at Washington County Historical Society and Museum, this Saturday from 10:00am – 2:00pm. Learn about historic photography and quilting. Summer themed arts and crafts activities including making your own butterfly art.
– Lake Oswego Centennial Celebration 10th annual ‘Pets on Parade,’ this Sunday at Millennium Plaza Park. Registration begins at 1:00pm, parade starts at 2:00pm. Free.
– For more free things to do this weekend, please visit Aroundthesunblog.
SPOTLIGHT: FREE SUMMER MOVIES
Regal Cinemas Free Family Film Festival runs every Tuesday and Wednesday from June 22nd – August 25th with free screenings of rated G and PG films beginning at 10:00am. Participating theaters include Bridgeport, Division Street 13, Evergreen Parkway 13, Hilltop 9 Oregon City, Lloyd Mall, Movies on TV 16 in Hillsboro, Sherwood 10, Stark Street 10, Tigard Cinemas 11 and Wilsonville 9. Free tickets and seating are first-come, first-served and are limited to theater capacity.
Pioneer Courthouse Square’s Flicks on the Bricks returns on Friday, July 23rd with Ferris Bueller’s Day Off. Pre-movie musical entertainment provided by Kink.fm begins at 7:00pm. Movie begins at dusk. Free popcorn provided by Cricket Wireless. Flicks on the Bricks occurs every Friday July 23rd – August 20th with screenings of Three Amigos, Sixteen Candles, The Muppets Take Manhattan and Jaws. Free.
Portland Parks and Recreation Movies in the Park, runs Friday June 25th – Friday, September 10th at parks and other outdoor settings around Portland. Pre-movie entertainment begins at 6:30pm and movies will begin at dark. Some movies will be subtitled for those with hearing disabilities, please see web site for schedule.
Beaverton Flick by the Fountain, every Friday in August in Beaverton City Park (across the street from the Beaverton City Library). Pre-movie entertainment will begin at 8:00pm and the movie will play at dusk.
Tualatin Movies on the Commons begins on Saturday, July 3rd with family-friendly movies starting at dusk. Movies every Saturday night until August 14th at Tualatin Commons (located in central downtown Tualatin).
Gresham Pictures In The Park dates are Friday, August 6th, 13th, 20th and 27th. Music will start at about 7:00pm and the movies around dusk. There will be free refreshments. Movies play at Gresham’s Main Street Park.
Wilsonville Movies in the Park on Friday July 16th and July 23rd; and on Friday August 13th and 27th. Lawn opens at 8:15pm and movie will play at dusk. Located at the River Shelter in Memorial Park.
West Linn Movies in the Park at Mary S. Young Park runs every Saturday night in August. Movies begin at dusk.
Vancouver Movies at Esther Short Park on Friday July 2nd, 9th and 16th. Movies begin at dusk.
Vancouver Movies at Haagen Park on Friday July 23rd and 30th, movies begin at dusk.
For movie screenings inside restaurants, pubs and more, please visit PDX Pipeline’s page devoted exclusively for this attraction.
Ahhh, summer movies under the stars, enjoy!