ANNOUNCEMENT: This will be our last post until the end of August, as we will be on holiday by adventuring in the beautiful countries of El Salvador and Honduras. To keep you busy for these peak summer months, we’ve devoted this last post to online and print guides for Portland summer fun. Enjoy!
Weekend on the Cheap:
- World Cup action pits Team USA vs Slovenia this Friday at 7:00am Pacific time, catch the action with breakfast and go USA!
- Submission: Discount offer for readers of Portland on the Cheap from Miracle Theatre Group’s “Songs for a New World.” Purchase tickets for the performance on Saturday, June 19th at 8pm and upon checkout enter coupon code CHEAP to save $5 off each premium or regularly priced ticket (subject to availability; handling charges will apply; must be purchased in advance) when purchased online here. Description: “From a ledge 57 stories above Fifth Avenue to the deck of a 1492 Spanish sailing ship … from a young man who hopes basketball is his ticket out of the ghetto to the wife of a certain North Pole resident who loves her husband but just can’t face another Christmas alone … it’s the hard choices and startling discoveries we make at pivotal moments in life that drive the songs and stories of this intimate Off-Broadway hit, a theatrical song cycle filled with love, laughter, adventure and, above all, passion for life. Join us as Miracle Theatre Group and Staged! Portland’s Musical Theatre Series collaborate to strip the summer musical down to its bare essence: compelling stories shared through song presented in the acoustic setting of the Milagro Theatre.”
- This weekend ComedySportz offers all dads free admission with one paid admission. Just mention your free dad when making reservation online or by phone at (503) 236-8888. The fine print: Limit one dad per paid customer. Valid this weekend only.
- “Your Money Bus Tour” free financial advice clinic at Pioneer Square this Friday from 11:00am – 6:00pm and on Saturday from 9:00am – 2:00pm.
- McMinnville Third Saturday Art & Wine Walk, 2:00pm – 8:00pm in downtown McMinnville.
- Oregon Historical Society June Family Days “Tall in the Saddle” gets two children admitted free with one paid adult admission, 11:00am – 3:00pm this Saturday.
- Hello Craft’s Summit of Awesome Show and Sale this Saturday from 10:00am – 3:00pm downstairs at the Doug Fir Lounge. Features 40 local and national vendors, free admission and open to the public.
- Danner Factory Store Grand Opening Weekend with their new outlet store at 12021 NE Airport Way.
- Pedalpalooza 2010 continues with more free rides and festivities all weekend including the World Naked Bike Ride, film fest, ice cream social and more.
- Portland Pride 2010 this weekend at Tom McCall Waterfront Park, $7 suggested donation. The Pride Parade will start at 11:30am this Sunday near downtown’s NW 13th and Burnside.
SPOTLIGHT: PORTLAND SUMMER TO-DO GUIDE 2010
So much to do this fine summer. Read up and choose your adventures from these write ups:
Willamette Week’s Get Out Guide (hardcopy publication date June 9th, 2010) gives you the best hikes, bike rides, water pursuits, sports and community events.
Oregonian Summer Events Guide 2010 (hardcopy publication date May 21st, 2010) with A&E’s picks for pop music, classical music, theater and dance, visual arts and outdoor events.
LivePDX.com Events Around Portland, including ideas for Father’s Day this weekend and the World’s Longest Kickball game.
Aroundthesunblog, updated every Thursday evening with a listing of free events for the weekend.
City of Portland Parks and Recreation guide to free hikes, work parties, community celebration fairs, rock climbing wall and more.
Metro’s Discover GreenScene – your guide to great places and green living including free Walk There! guided tours, free summer workshops, park ranger programs and more.
All comer track meets sponsored by Foot Traffic on Tuesdays at 6:00pm from June 15th – July 13th at Grant High School; continuing Wednesdays July 14th – 28th at Lake Oswego High School.
The City of Hillsboro Parks and Recreation Department holds their All-Comer Track Meets on Wednesdays from June 30th – July 28th (5 weeks). Registration begins at 5:30pm and events kick off at 6:00pm at Hare Field.
And there you have it, there’s no excuse of “nothing to do.” Get out and enjoy this sun (finally!) and our super city of Portland . Thanks for your readership and see you all back in two months!