Weekend on the Cheap:
– Submission: Quarter Midget Racing Regional Championship begins tonight and runs through the weekend at Alpenrose Dairy
– Submission: Nathan Clark George will be in Portland for a special night of music and worship this Friday night, 7:00PM at Central Bible Church at 8815 Northeast Glisan Street. See web site for free tickets.
– Third Saturday Art & Wine Walk, 2:00pm – 8:00pm in downtown McMinnville.
– McMenamins Halfway to St. Patrick’s Day Celebrations this Saturday with free shows at Kennedy School, Grand Lodge and other McMenamins locations.
– Graham Oaks Nature Park grand opening this Saturday from 9:00am – 2:00pm with dedication ceremony, fundraising breakfast, live music, Oregon Zoo animals and more. Free.
– Nautilus Warehouse Sale this Saturday from 9:00am – 5:00pm, up to 75% off MSRP on Nautilus, Bowflex, Schwinn and Universal products. 18225 NE Riverside Parkway, Portland.
– The 53rd Annual Beaverton Celebration Parade and Old Town Festival kicks off at 10:00am this Saturday in downtown Beaverton.
– Block Party at Ninth Row this Saturday all day on SE 9th Avenue between Belmont and Madison streets and showcases art and craft displays; food vendors; musical entertainment; and interactive street performers. All free!
– Portland Retro Gaming Expo this weekend at the Portland Crowne Plaza Hotel. Admission is $10 per day, or get a weekend pass for $15. And what do you get? Only the excitement of tournaments, seminars, free play arcades, after party, live auction and much more! From Willamette Week: “Organizers for the PRGE are offering half-price tickets if you come to the video-game show dressed like a pirate.”
– Just Between Friends children’s and maternity consignment sale this Saturday and Sunday at the Portland Expo Center, Hall A. Free admission, though be aware that the Expo Center charges $8 for parking.
– PICA’s 8th annual Time-Based Art Festival wraps up this weekend with a free show by Blackfish Sunday night at 8:00pm.
– Qdoba has launched their ‘Food Lovers Fighting Burrito Boredom‘ promotion with daily giveaways for coupons (including some freebies!). Please see web site to try your luck.
SPOTLIGHT: NEWPORT BAY SEAFOOD RESTAURANTS
We went in last week for Newport Bay’s one day only ‘Name Your Price Fish-n-Chips,’ which was their way of introducing some new meals and menus that we think deserve their own spotlight:
First up is their limited-time promotion “Build Your Own Surf N’ Turf.” For $9.95 you get grilled sirloin and roasted garlic Parmesan mashed potatoes plus one of the following: garlic prawns, seared scallops or stuffed sole. Offer ends October 31st.
Their ‘Dive Right In’ special gets you two entrees and an appetizer for $25. Choose from Beer Battered Cod Fish & Chips, Dungeness Crab & Bay Shrimp Louie Salad, Grilled Salmon BLT, Mahi Mahi Baja Style Taco, Hazelnut Halibut, Garlic Roasted Chicken Breast, Sweet Red Crab Cakes, Willamette Valley Smoked Salmon Fettuccine or a half pound Chuck Burger. Add a dessert or salad for just $2.95 more. Click here to see the menu. This offer is valid until October 24th.
Finally, you can’t go wrong with their daily happy hour menu, served at most locations from 3:00pm – 6:00pm (some until 7:00pm), and then once again from 9:00pm until close. We like the fact that you are not required to purchase a drink and the menu offers a large number of choices ranging in price from $1.95 to $5.00. Items include a 1/4 pound BBQ Burger, sweet potato French fries, smoked salmon fettuccine, tempura friend prawns, salmon cakes, beer battered cod, hand-dipped Cajun chicken tenderloins and much more. If you are so included to imbibe with spirits, the happy hour also includes $3.50 house wines, well drinks and all draft beers.
Can’t get enough of all the deliciousness of Newport Bay Seafood restaurants? Then be sure to ask and sign up for their free Eat, Drink and Earn Rewards Card.. Earn one point for every $1 you spend and redeem your points for restaurant dining credits, gift cards and more. The card is valid at any Restaurants Unlimited dining venue, including Stanford’s, Portland City Grill, Manzana, Henry’s Tavern and more.
Wow, all this writing about food has made us hungry so we’re outta here until next week. Happy dining!