Article of the Week:
– “The Super-Saver’s Guide to Grocery Shopping at Dollar Stores,” by RachaelRaymag.com.
Monday, November 8th:
– Oregon Stories of War, 7:00pm at the Ellyn Bye Studio Theater inside the Armory (near Powell’s on Burnside). Free admission, also repeats next Monday on November 15th. From web site: “In conjunction with Portland Center Stage’s production of An Iliad and the Veteran’s Day holiday, PCS will offer an innovative performance in which military veterans, after interviews and subsequent training and rehearsal, have staged the ‘telling’ of their stories for our community. Please join us for these veterans’ stories followed by a Q & A with audience members.”
Tuesday, November 9th:
– Oregon Zoo Second Tuesday: gate admission is just $4 per person. Ride the MAX and show proof of fare to get an additional $1.50 off per passenger.
Wednesday, November 10th:
– The Lake Oswego Public Library presents the Maldon Meehan Dancers and musicians Elizabeth Nicholson and Bob Soper for this free performance beginning at 12:00pm.
– L.E.S.T.A. (Learn English/Spanish Through the Arts) presents a free family show “Chatty Cats” at Glen Walters Cultural Arts Center, 7:00pm in Hillsboro.
– Book reading at Powell’s City of Books on Burnside, “Keep the Change: A Clueless Tipper’s Quest to Become the Guru of the Gratuity,” 7:30pm, free.
Thursday, November 11th (Veteran’s Day):
– Oregon Zoo free admission for military veterans and active military personnel.
– Portland Japanese Garden Free Admission Day, 10:00am – 4:00pm. Visitors are encouraged to bring canned goods or nonperishable food items for Oregon Food Bank.
– World Forestry Center Veterans (active and non-active) and Teacher Free Day, 10:00am – 5:00pm. Teachers and veterans are admitted at no charge. Additional family members and friends pay regular museum admission. $2 Metro parking fee does apply.
– H&M Grand Opening at Pioneer Place Mall starting at 12:00pm. The first 300 shoppers in line will receive an H&M T-shirt and Access to Fashion Pass, valued from $10 to $300 in addition to fantastic opening offers and giveaways.
– Official Veteran’s Day events from around the state are posted here, including Beaverton’s Annual Veterans Day Celebration and the 36th Annual Ross Hollywood District Veterans Day Parade.