No spotlight this week, as we are taking a break but want to pass along some suggestions for this weekend on the cheap:
– Submission: As part of 2nd Fridays on Fremont, Paperjam Press will be holding its anniversary party this Friday, November 12th, from 5:00pm – 9:00pm. Enjoy complimentary champagne, birthday cake & local treats…the first twenty five guests will receive a complimentary tote bag & we will be introducing our new line of holiday cards! Come meet the Paperjam Girl, who will be handing out Paperjam Bucks. We’re offering special discounts that evening, so if you need business cards, holiday cards, stationery, postcards, posters, or brochures, now is the time to get them printed!
– Free piano concert featuring the music of G.I. Gurdjieff and Thomas deHartmann this Friday 7:30pm at the Old Church in downtown Portland. No charge for admission – donations accepted at the door. The music will be followed by a reception with refreshments, providing an opportunity for questions and discussion with the musicians and other members of the group.
– Community Music Center Family Friday Concert features the Chinook Winds Trio. Their concert for the Family Friday will have the theme “Animals in Music.” Concert is FREE thanks to a grant by SE Uplift. Suggested Donation: $5 per person or $15 for a family. Concert starts at 7:15pm. Doors open at 6:45pm. Located at CMC’s David Beasley Campbell Recital Hall near 33rd and SE Powell.
– National Gaming Day at your local library this Saturday; “On November 13, 2010, libraries across the country will participate in the largest, simultaneous national video game tournament ever held! Kids will be able to compete against players at other libraries and track their scores while playing at their local library. In addition, libraries will be offering a variety of board games for all ages to play together.” Some participating libraries include Tigard, Beaverton and Hillsboro.
– Washington County Historical Society and Museum Free Family Day this Saturday from 10:00am – 2:00pm. “Enjoy making pine cone turkeys, tunnel books and Maori masks. See what toys pioneer children played with and have fun dressing up.”
– Tapestry of Tales Storytelling Festival this Sunday with an open mic “Liar’s Contest” at the Multnomah County Central Library, 2:00pm – 3:30pm. “Calling all storytellers, prevaricators and fibbers! Join us for this open mic event, featuring the Portland Storytellers’ Guild. Your master of ceremonies will be Anne Rutherford, master storyteller and award-winning liar. Awards, treats and fabulous flights of fancy await you. Tell a tale or just enjoy the spectacle. Sign up for the contest 30 minutes before the event. Please keep your tall tales, whoppers and fibs to no more than 5 minutes.”
– “The Walking Dead” AMC series, episode 3 airs this Sunday at 10:00pm. If you don’t have cable like us, then head over to McMenamins Bagdad Theater in SE Portland for Cort and Fatboy’s weekly free screening. 21 and over only.