Weekend on the Cheap:
– Tonight McMenamins Mission Theater hosts History Pub featuring “Beavers vs Ducks: Oregonâ€™s Century-long Civil War,” starting at 7:45pm, free. 21 and over only, or minor with parent or guardian.
– Free admission to America’s Largest Christmas Bazaar this Friday with a donation of 2 cans of food. 10:00am – 6:00pm, ride the MAX or pay $8 for parking.
-National Geographic Warehouse Sale this Friday, Saturday and Sunday at the Oregon Convention Center. Free admission, shop for books, DVDs, prints, educational materials and more; prices will be discounted up to 90 percent.
– Children’s Museum First Friday free admission, 4:00pm – 8:00pm.
– Submission from Sarah:
Leach Garden Holiday Bazaar
Date: Friday, December 3rd & Saturday, December 4th, 2010 9am-3pm
Where: Leach Botanical Garden Manor House & East Terrace
A great way to support the Garden and kick off your holiday season! Our festive holiday event features bulk greens, wreaths & swags, centerpieces, hand crafted items, baked goods and more. Come enjoy the winter garden and sip hot cider in the historic manor house. Our gift shop will be open! No admission charge. Click here for more information.
– Submission: JANE a theater company presents The Holly Jolly Hullabaloo! Hansel and Gretel. Free performances this Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Seating is first come, first served. Performances at Theater!Theatre! at 3430 SE Belmont.
– The Tualatin Valley Community Band plays two free concerts this weekend; “Starry Nights and Holiday Lights” 5:30pm Friday at Tualatin Commons and “Winter Concert” plays 3:00pm Sunday at Deb Fennell Auditorium in Tigard.
– ISing Community Choir presents “Christmas in the Northwest,” with performances on Friday, Saturday and Sunday at Beaverton’s Bethel Congregational United Church of Christ. No admission charge, though donations are appreciated and go to the Sexual Assault Resource Center.
– Lake Oswego Holiday Market at Millennium Plaza Park this Saturday and Sunday featuring holiday treats, crafts, entertainment, greenery and gifts galore. Free.
– Civil War time, it’s the Oregon Ducks vs. the Oregon State Beavers for state bragging rights… will the Beavos upset the undefeated Ducks and prevent them from competing in the BCS National Championship title game? Tune in at 12:30pm in this nationally televised game.
– Bank of Americaâ€™s Museums on Us promotion runs this Saturday and Sunday at the Portland Art Museum and the Pittock Mansion. Just show your BoA debit or credit card to get free admission.
– OMSI First Sundays offers admission for just $2 this Sunday, 9:30am – 5:30pm.
– 26th Annual ScanFair this Saturday and Sunday at Portland State University’s Smith Memorial Center Ballroom, 3rd Floor. Admission is $6 adults, $5 seniors and students, children under 12 are free.
– McMenamins Cornelius Pass Roadhouse 2nd annual Holiday Market this Sunday, 12:00pm – 5:00pm, free.
– Submission from Ronald: “We started a locally based Group Buying site called SuchTheDeal.com.” Today’s deal is a one hour “On Location” Photo Session with Porch Swing Photography for $25. Thanks and I would encourage people to support local businesses.
SPOTLIGHT: HOLIDAY LIGHTING CEREMONIES AND CELEBRATIONS
Here’s a quick look at upcoming holiday lighting festivities. Thanksgiving weekend saw the tree lighting celebrations in Portland, Gresham, Vancouver, Newberg and Bethany Village.
– Milwaukie’s Umbrella Parade and City Hall Tree Lighting is Friday night in conjunction with the First Friday ‘Art a la’ Carte’ series. The parade will be led by Santa Claus at 4:00pm and the tree lighting will follow in front of City Hall around 4:30pm.
– Tualatin’s annual tree lighting ceremony takes place this Friday from 5:30pm – 8:30pm at Tualatin Commons and features music, children’s activities and Santa.
– West Linn’s 9th Annual Holiday Tree Lighting and Community Celebration kick off Friday evening from 5:00pm – 9:00pm at West Linn City Hall and Cascade Summit Town Square with entertainers, refreshments and Santa.
– Tigard Tree Lighting Festivities this Friday at Liberty Park beginning at 6:45pm and featuring free hot cocoa, cookies and a visit from Santa.
– Forest Grove’s Holiday in the Grove 2010 this Saturday with caroling, arts and crafts, Santa and a holiday light parade beginning at 5:00pm.
– Sherwood’s annual Christmas Tree Lighting takes place this Saturday with a 4:00pm parade and a free hot dog feed.
– Hillsboro Holly Days celebration this Saturday from 2:00pm – 4:00pm with holiday tree lighting, Santa and refreshments.
– Historic Downtown Oregon City’s Tree Lighting Event is this Saturday at Liberty Plaza beginning at 5:00pm with the arrival of Santa.
– St. Johns Winter Fair, a Dickens of an Affair, with holiday tree lighting beginning 3:30pm at St. Johns Main Street Plaza located on the corner of North Lombard and North Philadelphia.
– Chanukah Menorah Lighting at Pioneer Courthouse Square Tuesday December 7th and Wednesday December 8th, free.
– Beavertonâ€™s 7th annual Tree Lighting Ceremony and Holiday Open House celebrates next Friday, December 10th beginning at 5:00pm inside the library and then outside at 7:00pm for the tree lighting at City Park.
– The 56th annual Christmas Ship Parade on the Columbia and Willamette Rivers begins on Thursday, December 9th and runs for two weeks until December 21st.
– Portland’s famous Peacock Lane lights up from December 15th – 31st, with the first evening of the 15th “Pedestrian-Only Night.”
In addition to the free lighting displays listed above, there are other Portland holiday light hot spots that require various admission fees. We’ll mention them here: the Grottoâ€™s Christmas Festival of Lights; ZooLights (BONUS TIP: buy one admission, get one admission free only today Thursday, December 2nd when you mention the code word ‘gibbon’ to the admissions gate cashier); Queen Anne Victorian Mansion; Winter Wonderland at Portland International Raceway; Wenzel Farm Christmas Fantasy Trail; zand Providence Festival of Trees.