Article of the Week:
“How to Double Your Savings Rate in 2011,” from US News & World Report, offers ten suggestions.
UPDATED: Birthday perks and freebies at area restaurants, recently updated with new offers from Famous Dave’s, Panera Bread and more.
Monday, January 10th:
– Um, apparently there is some football game starting at 5:30pm that most of Oregon will be tuned to. Don’t make the mistake we did though—it’s not on broadcast TV, you gotta get the game on ESPN. Catch the action at area bars, McMenamins movie screens or online by way of these suggestions from PDX Pipeline. Enjoy!
– Dress up head to toe in Ducks colors and receive a buy-one get-one free burrito at Portland area Chipotle locations.
– Qdoba Mexican Grill is offering $3 off the purchase of any entree and drink when you are wearing your Ducks gear and present your loyalty card.
Tuesday, January 11th:
– Second Tuesday at the Oregon Zoo offers admission for just $4 per person (ages two and under always free). Parking is $2 per car, or ride the MAX and show proof of ridership to receive $1.50 off each admission.
Wednesday, January 12th:
– Free workshop “Smart Saving at your Library,” from 12:00pm – 1:00pm at the Multnomah County Central Library. Learn about 401K and IRA Tax Implications from a certified public accountant from the Oregon Society of CPAs. Free.
– Come later to the Woodstock Library for the free workshop “Wills, Trusts and Estate Planning,” beginning at 6:30pm with attorney/author Richard Schneider.
– On the other side of town at the Northwest Library (23rd & Thurman) you can catch a free screening of “What’s on Your Plate” as part of the Food, Farming and Films: A Documentary Series. 6:30pm, free.
– Haiti special fundraising event at Harrison Elementary Auditorium beginning at 6:00pm. “You are invited to join SHACS to remember Haiti, to listen to live music, to learn about new update and the on going process of rebuilding Haiti. Donation will be acceptable to ship a relief container to Haiti. Featuring: Guests speaker from Haiti and the City of Portland Grant High School Royal Blues Live music from local artists and Professional bands Traditional dance Drama and poetry Haitian finger food Door prizes/Raffle Tickets and more…”
Thursday, January 13th:
– Writers in the Schools anthology release at Powell’s City of Books on Burnside, 7:30pm. Enjoy readings by Portland public high school students, their teachers and other writers.