Article of the Week:
– “22 Ways to Fight Rising Food Prices,” by Lisa Smith on Yahoo Finance.
Monday, January 17th:
– Free admission day at the Oregon Zoo, 10:00am – 4:00pm. Please bring donations of food or gently used clothing to benefit SnowCap and Transition Projects.
Tuesday, January 18th:
– Spoken Word: “What Remains: Japanese Americans in Internment Camps” with Margaret Chula & Cathy Erickson, 7:00pm at Hillsboro’s Glenn & Viola Walters Cultural Arts Center. Free.
Wednesday, January 19th:
– Helium Comedy Club’s Free Trivia & Comedy Night, 7:00pm. Free admission, but please note that there is still a two-item minimum order in the showroom; soda and juice is just $2.50 so you don’t have to spend a lot to have a great time playing team trivia and listening to local comics in between trivia rounds. We went during their inaugural event and ended up winning free comedy tickets, a gift certificate and a night’s stay at the Jupiter Hotel. We had a blast and figure that this will become a popular event, so call ahead and make reservations.
Thursday, January 20th:
– “The Flex Diet” book reading at Powell’s City of Books on Burnside starting at 7:30pm. From Powell’s web site: “Many diet books present readers with an inflexible program which forces them to stay on that diet or risk another dieting failure. Rather than teaching you just one way to lose weight, Dr. James Beckerman’s The Flex Diet (Touchstone) demonstrates 200 different ways. A medically proven approach to weight loss from WebMD’s heart expert, The Flex Diet allows you to create your own customized weight-loss plan — one that fits your lifestyle, is full of tasty and nutritious meals, boosts energy levels, and keeps the weight off for good.”