Weekend on the Cheap:
– The Portland International Auto Show is this Thursday – Sunday at the Oregon Convention Center, admission is $10 for adults and $5 for children. For money saving discounts, click on this web site.
– Free Coffee Fridays at Caffe Vita Coffee Roasting Company, this Friday from 10:00am – 2:00pm through February 25th. One 12 oz. beverage per person, per week.
– Portlandia’s second episode this Friday, free screening at McMenamins Mission Theater; doors at 10:00pm, viewing at 11:20pm.
– Washington County Project Homeless Connect this Friday at Hillsboro’s Sonrise Church, 10:00am – 6:00pm. This free one-day event connects services and resources to members of the community and offers free services like dental, medical, showers, food and more.
– Portland Art Museum free admission 4th Fridays, 5:00pm – 8:00pm.
– Portland Meadows Saturday matinee racing with first race post time of 12:40pm. Free admission and free parking.
– McMenamins on Broadway 21st Birthday Party this Saturday starting at 3:00pm with food specials, birthday cake, face painting and more for all ages.
– William Stafford Birthday Celebration and Reading this Sunday at Multnomah County Central library, 2:00pm – 4:00pm. Free admission, features readings and presentations commemorating Oregon’s late poet laureate.
– Crystal Ballroom 97th Birthday Free For All this Sunday from 1:00pm – 10:00pm. Free for all ages, features music, history tours, dance performances and more.
– Portland Opera to Go: Elixir of Love, this Sunday 2:00pm at McMenamins Grand Lodge. Here is your opportunity to introduce opera to your kids and maybe to yourself, with the Portland Opera To Go series, free!
– For other ideas on cheap stuff to do this weekend, please visit Aroundthesunblog or PDXPipeline.
SPOTLIGHT: BIG AL’S HAPPY HOUR
It’s Wednesday night and as I’m trying to type this, the distraction of awful (and great) singing auditions from American Idol are just too great to overcome…so without wasting words, here’s a quick run down of a pretty nice happy hour offered at Big Al’s Vancouver and Beaverton. Be forewarned: this place can get pretty busy, but the service is spot on, the food tastes good and the portions are fantastic for the price. Additionally, please check the web site for discount days for bowling, arcade game specials, birthday packages and more. Sign up for the Big Al’s eStrike Club and receive a email coupon for a free Burger Love. Extra bonus: if you are 21 and over, head upstairs at the Beaverton location to the “crow’s nest” (the private room next to the pool tables) and play video arcade games Mrs. Pacman, Galaga, Donkey Kong and Mario Brothers for free.
$3.99 Curve ball chicken tenders
$3.99 Hangin’ curve chicken wings
$2.99 Classic cheeseburger
$2.99 General Tso’s chicken bites
$2.99 Loaded potato skins
$2.99 Caesar salad
$2.99 Mini “Touchdown” sliders
$2.99 Big Al’s pita pizza
$2.99 Grilled chicken satay
$2.99 Spinach artichoke dip
$2.99 Parmesan chicken sliders
$2.99 Chicken quesadilla
$2.99 Tommy’s Mediterranean beef and lamb gyro
$2.99 Focaccia garlic cheese bread
$2.49 Chili cheese fries
$1.99 French fries
$1.99 Charge the mound potato chips
$1.49 Mini chocolate brownie explosion
Happy hour runs in the afternoon Monday – Friday 3:00pm – 6:00pm and then in the evening Monday – Thursday 9:00pm – close. Not available on holidays and (here’s a bummer) not available an hour prior to sporting events. No to-go orders and menu items are only valid with the purchase of an alcoholic or non-alcoholic drink.