Weekend on the Cheap:
Yes, the “Big Game” is on Sunday, but there is plenty to do this weekend if you are so inclined to partake in other non-football activities as follows!…
- Submission…happens tonight! From Ryan: “We’re starting up the world’s first non-profit pub. New idea. New vision. Amazing potential. Would love for you to share it on your site and get more people in the community out learning about what we’re doing and how they can be involved. We’re totally grass roots right now. 7pm Thursday night at our location and upstairs in the Village Ballroom. See web site for more details.”
- 21st Cascade Festival of African Films begins this Friday, February 4th and runs until March 5th. Free and open to the public on a first-come, first-seated basis. Friday’s 7:00pm screening of ‘A Screaming Man‘ shows at the Hollywood Theater. Please see web site for Saturday’s schedule.
- 7-Eleven Grand Opening this Friday from 11:00am – 1:00pm with free grill items, Big Gulps and dessert. Catch the freebies at 900 SW 4th Avenue in downtown Portland. Bonus: the first 100 people get a free lunch and prizes from Z100.
- Portland Children’s Museum First Fridays free admission from 4:00pm – 8:00pm.
- Re-New Year’s Prom this Friday at Artistery (43rd & Division), 8:00pm for all ages. Free, though a $3 donation will get you prom pictures!
- Lawful Order ~ Special Puppet Unit from Portland’s newest unscripted theater company ‘The Unscriptables.’ The Saturday show starts at 8:00pm and admission is “pay what you want.” Repeats on February 12, 19, 25 & 26.
- New submission: “Friends of Portland Chinatown is proud to present “Chinese New Year at Chinatown Gate”, an outdoor celebration at Chinatown Gate featuring lion dance performance by Minh Quang Lion Dance, large group photo shoots (in front of Chinatown Gate) for anyone with Chinese heritage or anyone who wants to be Chinese for a day, a rabbit costume contest for kids & adults (if weather permits), and hot Chinese tea/dessert (tang yuans) for everyone! Friends of Portland Chinatown will honor Chinese elders who grew up in Chinatown at this event. We will commemorate the 25th anniversary of the Chinatown Gate installation in 1986.” Free this Saturday from 10:00am – 11:00am at the Chinatown Gate.
- Chinese New Year Cultural Fair this Saturday at the Oregon Convention Center, 10:00am – 6:00pm. Admission is just $6, and all kids under the age of 6 are free. There will be folk dances, music performances, Kung Fu and martial arts demonstrations, vendor booths and much more.
- “Game On” Zine release party this Saturday, 1:00pm – 4:00pm at Ground Kontrol. Dance Dance Revolution and Street Fighter 2 tournaments!
- Bank of America’s ‘Museums on Us’ gives all BoA cardholders free admission this Saturday & Sunday to the Portland Art Museum, Pittock Mansion and the Lan Su Chinese Garden (great timing to partake in their Chinese New Year events!).
- Super Bowl Sunday: Packers vs. Steelers, everyone wins if they go to overtime. Just be sure to register by Saturday night at the Papa John’s web site; if the teams are tied at the end of four quarters, registered customers will receive a free large, up to three-topping pizza. Please see web site for details and enjoy the commercials! Oh, and the game as well!
SPOTLIGHT: SEARS OUTLET STORE
We recently stumbled upon the Sears Outlet over on 82nd Avenue near Clackamas Town Center. Half of the store offers appliances such as refrigerators, washer/dryers, stoves, dishwashers and microwaves with discounts that range from “eh” to “Wow, whadda deal!” Merchandise runs the gamut of refurbished items, returns, scratch n’ dent, new-in-the-box, one-of-a-kinds, clearance items and stuff that just plain didn’t sell.
Take a wander around the store and you’ll find small appliances like blenders, waffle makers, juicers, coffee makers, hair dryers, a petite rotisserie, crockpots, fans, vacuums, steam mops and cupcake makers. Scattered about along the aisles you’ll find other random stuff: deck boxes, tools, tool boxes, flat screen TV’s, exercise equipment, housewares, patio sets, mattresses, bedding, bed skirts, bed sheets, towels, frames, home decor, etc.
Fashionistas will want to browse the tore’s large apparel discounts of pants, tops, shoes, Juniors, Land’s End, belts, scarfs, purses, hats, backpacks, ties, skirts and other accessories. Stock comes in frequently and you never know just what you might find.
The Sears Outlet is open Monday – Saturday from 9:00am – 9:00pm; Sunday from 10:00am – 7:00pm. Find it at 10176 SE 82nd Avenue. There is a second location at 4500 Northeast 122nd Avenue with the same hours.