Weekend on the Cheap:
– Ground Kontrol Grand Re-Opening Party, tonight beginning at 5:00pm! Play all the video arcades and pinball games for just $3 all evening, please bring your ID to prove you are 21 and over! From web site: “Many upgrades await you, including a new food menu, new games, new tables & seating, new bathrooms and a sleek new look inspired by vintage video game art and the TRON film series.” Yes!!! We are so there.
– American Cancer Society Relay for Life 2011 Kick off Celebration, tonight from 7:00pm -8:30pm at the Pearl’s On Deck Sports Bar and Grill. Come to this family friendly event to learn more about how you can help out!
– “Night of a Thousand Stars: A Portrait of Life in Iraq,” this Saturday from 2:00pm – 3:00pm at the Kenton Library. From web site: “Photojournalist Joel Preston Smith traveled in central and northern Iraq for four months in 2003, living with Iraqis and Kurds and patrolling with U.S. soldiers. This slide show and conversation offer a comprehensive portrait of Iraqi society before and after the U.S. invasion in 2003, as seen from the perspectives of both Iraqis and U.S. soldiers. Smith will lead audiences in a conversation about the ethics of war, media bias, and American perceptions of Iraqis and Middle Easterners.” Free.
– 21st Annual Cascade Festival of African Films continues with free films showing Friday at 7:00pm and on Saturday at 2:00pm, 7:30pm, 8:10pm and 8:35pm.
– 3rd annual Zwickelmania Oregon Brewery Tour this Saturday from 11:00am – 4:00pm. Zwickelmania, hosted by the Oregon Brewers Guild (OBG), is a free statewide event that offers visitors a chance to tour Oregon breweries, meet the brewers and sample their favorite beers. See web site for participating brewers and locations.
– America’s Next Top Model casting call this Saturday from 10:00am – 3:00pm at Cosmetology Careers Unlimited. You must be female and 18 to 27 years of age at the time of application; please see web site for more details and eligibility requirements.
– Oregon Historical Society Family Day this Saturday; two children admitted free with one paid adult admission. Start the celebration by watching a special play created and performed by students from the Springville K-8 school (performances at 11:30am and 12:30pm) and take part in family craft activities throughout the day.
– Flash Mob Freeze Pioneer Square this Saturday at 5:25pm; see the Facebook page for details to participate or to watch.
– Northwest VEG’s Portland Potluck and Grant Butler Presentation this Sunday at West Hills Unitarian Universalist Fellowship (8470 SW Oleson Road). The public is invited to the potluck at 5:00pm, Butlerâ€™s presentation at 6:30 p.m., or both. Admission is free, but a donation of $2â€“5 is welcomed to help cover the cost of the room rental.
– Columbia Gorge Wineries’ Presidents’ Day Open House Weekend, Saturday – Monday with 30 wineries and tasting rooms open from 11:00am – 6:00pm each day.