Weekend on the Cheap:
– Submission: Peter Phan, a theology professor at Georgetown University, will give a lecture entitled â€œChristian Theology Asian Style: Eat, Pray, Loveâ€ as part of â€œTheology Thursdaysâ€ at the University of Portland. The lecture is set for 7:30p.m. on Thursday, March 3rd in Buckley Center Auditorium, 5000 North Willamette Boulevard. The lecture is free and open to the public.
– Portland Childrenâ€™s Museum First Friday free admission from 4:00pm â€“ 8:00pm.
– Central Eastside Arts District First Friday, 6:00pm – 9:00pm. In conjunction with this monthly event, check out Milepost 5’s open house and festivities including live music, art viewings, a happy hour and more.
– “Visuals: A Community Film Festival,” this Friday beginning at 7:00pm at the 5th Avenue Cinemas near the campus of Portland State University. The festival features the latest shorts from student/community filmmakers and there will be an awards ceremony. $3 for general admission, $2 for students and seniors and free for PSU students and faculty (bring your ID).
– Submission: Shakespeareâ€™s classic comedy “Two Gentlemen of Verona” will be performed this Friday – Sunday in the Mago Hunt Center Theater on the University of Portland campus. Performances are at 7:30pm Friday and Saturday and at 2:00pm on Sunday. Admission is $10 for adults and $5 for students and seniors.
– The 21st Cascade Festival of African Films wraps up their run this Friday with a free 7:30pm screening of “Imani,” and free films on Saturday playing at 2:00pm, 2:30pm and 7:00pm. Please see web site for film descriptions.
– The 33rd annual “Celebration of Creativity” takes place this weekend at Southminster Presbyterian Church in Beaverton. Admission is free each day during the art exhibit and sale.
– Owl Fest 2011 this Saturday from 4:00pm – 7:00pm at Tryon Creek State Park’s Natural Area. Free event for the entire family, activities include owl pellet dissection, book reading and signing by local authors, snacks by Clif Bar, owl house construction and guided hikes (sign up as soon as you check in).
– SE Portland Art Walk is this Saturday and Sunday from 10:00am – 5:00pm; this art walking tour and sale features over 200 artists in their homes and studios, please see web site to download the walking map.
– It’s back! The Portland Saturday Market 38th season kick-off event this Saturday and Sunday with free giveaways, kid’s parade and activities, live music and of course all the handcrafted arts and crafts sold by 200 vendors.
– Bank of Americaâ€™s â€˜Museums on Usâ€™ gives all BoA/Merrill Lynch cardholders free admission this Saturday & Sunday to the Portland Art Museum, Pittock Mansion and the Lan Su Chinese Garden.
– This first Sunday OMSI opens its doors for only $2 per personâ€¦check out their newest exhibit “Lost Egypt: Ancient Secrets, Modern Science.”
– The PSU Opera Workshop, part of Portland State University’s Voice/Choral Department, will present free music selections from Kurt Weill’s “American Opera, Street Scene,” 1:00pm performance this Sunday at Multnomah County Central Library.