Article of the Week:
“What to Buy in March,” by Tom Barlow and provided by WalletPop.com.
Monday, March 14th:
– Kettleman Bagel Company invites you to one free bagel with schmear AND one free brewed coffee from 6:00am – 11:00am at their Irvington location at 2200 NE Broadway.
– The Volunteers of Portland Center for the Performing Arts presents PCPA Noontime Showcase: Brongaene Griffin with members of Cul An Ti. See and hear traditional Irish music at 12:00pm, free.
– Free Budgeting and Saving workshop at the Midland Library, 6:30pm – 8:00pm as part of the Multnomah County Library’s “Smart Saving” program.
Tuesday, March 15th:
– Music Mellennium celebrates 42 years in business with free cake and beverages at 5:30pm and a special in-store performance at 6:00pm with Ron Rogers and the Wailing Wind.
– PNCA Videofest, 7:00pm at Clinton Street Theater and Brewpub, free! From web site: “Pacific Northwest College of Art and the Intermedia Department proudly present VideoFest 2011, an annual juried festival of moving image works. From traditional narrative film and video, to experimental performance and animation, VideoFest encompasses a breadth of work made by current PNCA students of all levels, and from all majors. This event is free and open to the public. Content is suitable for a mature audience.”
– Submission from Brad: Third Tuesday Americana Night at McMenamins White Eagle Saloon beginning at 8:00pm, free. “Come dance the night away to your favorite country traditional country music for free at the Mcmenamins White Eagle. Brad Creel & the Reel Deel will be playing their brand of Johnny Cash fLAvored tunes, the Stump Grinders will be channeling Hank Williams, and Shorty & the Mustangs will be doing that Bob Wills swing thing.”
Wednesday, March 16th:
– Puddle Stompers activity for the little ones at Tualatin River National Wildlife Refuge, 10:00am – 11:30pm, free. Advance registration required; call 503-625-5944, ext. 239.
– Book reading from Sara Wheeler’s “The Magnetic North: Notes from the Arctic Circle,” 7:30pm at Powell’s City of Books on Burnside, free.
Thursday, March 17th:
– It’s March Madness NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament time—fill out your brackets by the morning tip-off and compete to win prizes and bragging rights by playing for free at Yahoo!, CBS Sportsline and ESPN’s Tournament Challenge.
– St. Patrick’s Day celebrations occur all around the city — check out these picks from About.com; McMenamins has plenty of free family events planned at a number of their locations; and Kells Irish Restaurant takes over the area around SW 2nd Avenue between Ash and Pine with their annual St. Patrick’s Day Festival Wednesday – Saturday.
– Submission from Darren:
Lovers of art and intellectual exploration, freegans and spectacle-watchers alike are invited to participate in the second Third Third Thursday celebration of art Thursday March 17th, from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. where we are proud to show for the first time the original consensual pornographic artwork and interactive Skywalker Paradigm rantings of Jack Eggers, the living god Ammon Ra. Attendees will experience the once-in-a-lifetime installation In Which the Artist is an Artist in Portland’s only home-turned-gallery-for-an-evening during this free event. Premium beer, non-alcoholic beverages and light snacks will also be provided free of charge…more information about this triannual event, including the current gallery location, can be found on our website, or by calling/texting 971-533-7748.