Weekend on the Cheap:
– Portland Children’s Museum First Friday free admission from 4:00pm – 8:00pm.
– Portland’s Eastside Galleries First Friday from 6:00pm – 9:00pm. Features over 50 participating galleries and venues with new exhibits and artist receptions. Please see web site for map and a list of participating venues.
– Submission from Erin: “Bols Genever and Upright Brewing are holding an exclusive tasting of the first ever beer to be produced by Upright Brewery in Portland, Oregon in conjunction with Lucas Bols, makers of Bols Genever.” This free event will take place this Friday from 5:00pm – 8:00pm at Circa 33 (33rd & SE Belmont). More information can be found on the Facebook event page here.
– Join a free and early spring paddle at Smith and Bybee Wetlands with the Friends of Smith and Bybee Lakes this Saturday morning from 9:00am – 12:00pm. Please visit web site for more information.
– Ever After Consignment Sale for used and new upscale, name brand clothing for children, this Saturday beginning at 9:00am in Tigard; wait a few hours later and save more when specified items will be 25% off after 1:00pm.
– Saturday is International Pillow Fight Day…the Portland Cacophony Society has posted information on their web site that participants will gather at Director Park near the Fox Tower at 3:00pm for this free event. Please visit this web site for further details.
– Portland’s newest unscripted theatre company, the Unscriptables, presents “The Uninvited: Tennessee Williams With Zombies” this Saturday at 8:00pm. Admission is ‘pay-what-you-want.’
– “Red Lips & Tulips:” St Josef’s Winery in Canby celebrates their 28th annual Founders Day this Saturday and Sunday with music, food specials and tours. $5 cover includes a souvenir glass.
– The Mount Hood Rock Club’s 55th Annual Rock, Gem and Craft Show is this Saturday and Sunday at Mount Hood Community College’s gymnasium from 10:00am – 5:00pm each day. The Mount Hood Rock Club will also host the free Thunder Egg/Easter Egg Hunt on Saturday at 2:00pm.
– Head over to Lewis and Clark College this weekend for the opening reception of the senior art exhibition on Friday from 5:00pm – 7:00pm; the annual Hawai’i Club Luau on Saturday for a free performance at 7:00pm; and on Sunday a free concert at 4:00pm and a musical theater workshop at 8:00pm.
– It’s Tillamook Forest Center’s 5th Anniversary with free cake this Saturday and Sunday and a country/blue grass open jam scheduled for Sunday at 1:00pm. Admission to the center is free and they offer hands-on exhibits, hiking trails, a free film and much more.
– Bank of America’s ‘Museums on Us’ gives all Bank of America and Merrill Lynch debit/and or credit cardholders free admission this Saturday & Sunday to the Portland Art Museum, Pittock Mansion and the Lan Su Chinese Garden.
– Trillium Festival and Native and Hardy Plant Sale this Saturday and Sunday at Tryon Creek State Park, 10:00am – 4:00pm each day. There will be kids activities, guided walks and hikes, live music, storytelling, garden sale and much more.
– Multnomah County Libraries have a couple of Smart Choices programs on tap for this weekend. “Stretching Your Retirement Dollars,” is presented 2:00pm this Saturday at the Gresham Library; then on Sunday the Hollywood Library will host “Budgeting and Saving” from 2:00pm – 3:30pm.
– Submission from Joe: “The University of Portland’s 17th annual Reading Fair is set for Sunday, April 3 from 11:00am to 3:00pm in the Chiles Center on campus, 5000 N. Willamette Blvd. The event is free and open to the public, and hosted by Kappa Delta Pi, the education honor society. Every student will receive a free, new book of their choice for attending. The fair’s theme, “Reading Around the World,” is designed to be a multicultural approach to literacy that will engage students from pre-kindergarten to middle school. Events throughout the day include arts, crafts and games that focus on reading as well as an obstacle course and storytelling performances.”
– This first Sunday OMSI opens its doors for only $2 per person…check out their newest exhibit “Lost Egypt: Ancient Secrets, Modern Science.”
– There will be a free preview reception this Sunday for the new exhibit Dance: Before, After, During” from 3:00pm – 6:00pm at the Art Gym on the campus of Marylhurst University. The exhibition will feature performances at 3:15pm, 4:00pm and 4:45pm.
WHEELING’ AND DEALING': GREAT BUYS FOR THE WEEKEND
– Stark’s Vacuum’s 79th anniversary sale ends tonight at all of their locations.
– Oregon Coast Aquarium tickets are on sale today only via daily deal site Groupon: for $15, you get two adult tickets (up to a $31.90 value) and for $25, you get two adult and two child or young adult tickets (up to a $59.80 value). These vouchers will expire on October 4th, 2011.
– The Title Wave Used Bookstore Price Splashing Sale is this Saturday from 9:00am – 6:00pm…it’s an astounding 55 percent off everything in the store except food and beverages! Sale applies to merchandise on hand and there will be no additional discounts and no “rain checks.”
– TravelZoo has negotiated a great Groupon-style deal for Silverton’s Oregon Garden Resort, which we have stayed at three times and highly recommend. For a super rate of $149 you receive an overnight stay, $100 credit for the spa, dinner for two and a bottle of wine, breakfast buffet for the next morning AND admission to the Oregon Garden. The deal is valid for Sunday-Thursday arrivals through July 21st with some black out dates. Tax, resort fee and gratuities are not included. Please see web site for more details; this deal will expire at 7:00pm this Friday!
– The 7th annual Abby’s Closet Prom Gown Giveaway is this Saturday and Sunday at Lloyd Center’s DoubleTree Hotel. All high school females are invited to attend to receive a free gown (just need to show a high school ID).
– Standard TV & Appliance holds their semi-annual manufacturer liquidation sale this Saturday from 8:00am – 7:00pm and on Sunday from 11:00am – 5:00pm. Find deals on closeouts, demos, overstock, scratch n’ dent and more. Sale is located at their warehouse at 7914 SE 82nd Avenue.