Weekend on the Cheap:
– It’s finally here–the Portland Timbers MLS official home opener against the Chicago Fire, 8:00pm at Jeld-Wen Field (the ‘old’ PGE Park). There are still some tickets available online (but expect to pay for the premium seats), via Craigslist or try your luck with the scalpers an hour before kick off.
– Final days of the Hearing Voices Storytelling Festival, Thursday – Saturday at the Tualatin, Banks, Hillsboro, Beaverton, Sherwood and Garden Home libraries. Please see web site for times and program description.
– Submission: Sunnyside Swap and Spring Cleanup runs this Friday – Sunday at Saint Stephens Catholic Church gym and parking lot in SE Portland. See web site for schedule and details.
– The 46th annual Lake Area Artists Show and Sale begins with a wine and music reception this Friday from 5:30pm – 7:30pm at the Lakewood Center for the Arts. Show hours are 10:00am – 7:30pm on Saturday and 10:00am – 5:00pm on Sunday.
– The Bike Gallery’s annual Spring Sale is this Friday – Monday with money saving deals on bikes and accessories.
– Community Music Center’s Family Friday Series features Portland BoyChoir & I Ragazzi Baroque this Friday beginning at 7:15pm. Concert is free thanks to a grant by SE Uplift, but they do have a suggested donation of $5 per person or $15 for a family.
– Stumptown Comics Fest this Saturday and Sunday at the Oregon Convention Center, tickets are just $7 online for adults and only $5 if you are a student (ID required).
– National Record Store Day with celebrations and promotions at Music Millennium this Saturday from 8:00am – 10:00pm. There will be over 200 limited edition releases, free gift bags and more. Other retailers are participating; see this Willamette Week write up for more.
– Oregon Public Broadcasting Electronic Recycling Drive this Friday from 1:00pm – 5:00pm and on Saturday from 9:00am – 3:00pm in the OPB parking lot on Macadam Avenue. Recycle most electronics for free (CRT monitors $5.00 each and televisions are $1.00 Diagonal Inch).
– Portland’s Largest Garage Sale, this Saturday from 8:00am – 5:00pm at the Portland Expo Center. Admission is $4 with partial proceeds to the Portland Rescue Mission.
– Celebrate Earth Day early with SOLV IT and other community partners this Saturday from 9:00am – 1:00pm at numerous locations around the state. There are over 125 projects to choose from, register and sign up here online.
– Community History Storytelling: North Portland this Saturday from 12:00pm – 2:30pm at the historic Kenton Firehouse (8105 North Brandon Street). This free event features those who have lived or worked in North Portland and they will share stories, personal experiences and community history.
– Oregon Historical Society Family Day: two children admitted free with one paid adult. Saturday, 11:00am – 3:00pm. From web site: “This April, watch demonstrators from the Confederated Tribes of the Grand Ronde as they create traditional cultural arts, and learn the intricacies involved in their craft. After observing the artisans use their skills, try your hand at creating a design for a basket. Learn about the very first people to live in Oregon during a special family tour.”
– Cloth ‘n Carriers Show ‘n Swap, Saturday 2:00pm – 4:00pm at the Warehouse (3434 SE Milwaukie Avenue) features seminars and silent auction. Suggested donation of $3-5 per person.
– Spring Used Book Sale this Saturday and Sunday by the Multnomah County Friends of the Library at the Cherry Park Market Center in Troutdale. Prices start at 50 cents for children’s books and pocket paperbacks and range from $1.50 to $6.00 for all other books. On Sunday, everything will be 50% off!
– Game 1 of the first round series between the Portland Trail Blazers and the Dallas Mavericks tips off this weekend–as of this early Thursday morning, the game will either be on Saturday or Sunday so check the official NBA page for schedule. Home playoff game tickets go on sale this Friday at 12:00pm.
– 7th annual Latino Cultural Festival, 12:00pm – 5:00pm in downtown Hillsboro. Features food, entertainment, sports and information for the entire family.
– 50+ Connections Expo this Sunday, 11:00am – 4:00pm at Vancouver’s Hilton Hotel & Convention Center. A $3 suggested donation at the door supports the Retired and Senior Volunteer Program.
– Writer’s Resource Fair, Sunday from 12:00pm – 3:00pm at the Multnomah County Central Library, free.
– Weekend events just for kids, including the Forest Grove Children’s Fair, Kidfest & Easter Egg Hunt, Creativity Fair and more can be found at the web site Red Tricycle Portland.
– For more ideas on what to do this weekend, please visit Aroundthesunblog or PDXPipeline.
SPOTLIGHT: TAX DAY DEALS AND FREEBIES
Friday, April 15th:
– Hungry Howies Pizza: “Big Relief Deal” nets customers a medium cheese or pepperoni pizza for just $2.11. Offer is valid all day, limited one per person and carryout only.
– Office Depot: up to 25 free single-sided copies of your tax return and accompanying documents with this coupon. Valid now until Saturday, April 23rd.
– Arby’s: free curly fries with this coupon from Facebook, 11:00am – 10:00pm. To receive your free value curly fry, you will need to print off the coupon from the Facebook page on Friday and bring it with you.
– McCormick & Schmickâ€™s: “Early Filers Happy Hour” make a purchase during their happy hour and receive a $10.40 tax relief certificate to be used at a later date (while supplies last).
Monday, April 18th:
– McCormick & Schmickâ€™s: “Procrastinators All Day Celebration” features $10.40 entrees and drink specials in the bar, plus bar guest receive a $10.40 tax relief certificate to be used at a later date (while supplies last).
– Cinnabon: two free Cinnabites from 6:00pm – 8:00pm at participating locations.
– Maggie Moo’s Ice Cream and Treatery: “Sundae Stimulus” free mini ice cream sundae. Customers can receive a free mini ice cream sundae from 3:00pm – 6:00pm, Washington Square location.
– P.F. Chang’s China Bistro: 15% tax day discount on all dine-in and take-out orders (offer not valid on alcohol or happy hour food and beverage menu).
– Bally Total Fitness: free workouts all day (must be at least 18 and sign waiver and release for free workout). Bally Total Fitness is also offering a Tax Day membership special with a 2-Year Premier National Access membership for $418, a savings of $61 from the standard price. The membership can be purchased from 4/15 â€“ 4/21.
Pingback: Low cost events and activities in Portland, OR for April 18th - 21st | Portland On The Cheap