Article of the Week:
– “14 Ways to Save Money on Groceries,” by CountryLiving.com.
Monday, April 18th:
– Tax day freebies today! Check out our post from Thursday to get in on the action.
– Free admission at Fort Vancouver National Historic Site during National Park Week, good until next Sunday, April 24th.
Tuesday, April 19th:
– X-Factor auditions up in Seattle; make it a long day trip / overnight for your opportunity to be a star!
– Free library program “How to Write a Kick-Butt Cover Letter,” 6:30pm – 8:00pm at the Northwest Library at 23rd and NW Thurman.
– OMSI Science Pub and McMenamins brings you “Birds and Bridges: Bringing Portland’s Peregrines Back from the Brink,” starting at 7:00pm at the Mission Theater. Learn about these amazing birds and the decades of effort to recover our local populations from Bob Sallinger, conservation director for the Portland Audubon Society. Science Pub is open to ages 21+, or minor with adult. $3 suggested cover charge, no RSVP or tickets required.
Wednesday, April 20th:
– Portland Habitat for Humanity 11th annual HopeBuilder Breakfast, 7:30am – 8:30am at the Oregon Convention Center. From web site: “Join us for our most inspirational event of the year at the 11th annual HopeBuilder Breakfast. Enjoy a free breakfast during this one-hour program that includes an in-depth update on Habitat’s involvement in the local community and moving testimonials from partner families.”
– “Among Penguins,” a presentation by Noah Strycker begins at 7:00pm at the Audubon Society of Portland; learn about his research in Antarctica among the Adelie Penguins during this free program.
Thursday, April 21st:
– National columnist Dan Savage (see the Portland Mercury section) visits Powell’s City of Books at 7:30pm to present his new book “It Gets Better,” free.
– “Bugged” a late night shadow puppet show by Simple Machines Theater plays at 10:30pm with “pay what you will” tonight at Theater! Theater! located at 34th & SE Belmont.