Weekend on the Cheap:
– Space Shuttle Endeavor’s Final Launch: watch it free at OMSI’s planetarium this Friday beginning at 11:30am (launch will be at 12:47pm). Seating is on a first-come, first-served basis.
– The Mountain Shop grand opening celebration this Friday from 6:00pm – 9:00pm with music, food and drink.
– Do ya like chili!? Then head on over to IPRC’s Second Annual Chili Cook-Off Fundraiser this Friday night from 6:00pm – 9:00pm, it’s just $5 for all-you-can-eat chili and refreshments; all proceeds benefit the Independent Publishing Resource Center. Music provided by old-time strings outfit Rabbit Foot String Band.
– Baby’s Bottom Dollar Sale wraps up this Friday and Saturday at the Lake Oswego Armory located at 1915 South Shore Boulevard. This consignment sale features maternity all the way thru kids size 12 and many items will be discounted 50% on Saturday.
– Friends of the Hillsboro Library Spring Used Book Sale begins this Friday at the Hillsboro Main Library and runs a full ten days, ending on Sunday May 8th. Stop at the information booth and pick up a coupon, good for an additional 50 cents off one item.
– 20th Annual Clark Public Utilities Home & Garden Idea Fair this Friday, Saturday and Sunday at the Clark County Event Center in Ridgefield. This free event features a plant sale, exhibits and displays, how-to demos, kids activities and much more. Parking is $6.
– ISing Community Choir “A Road Less Traveled” concert, this Friday (7:30pm), Saturday (7:30pm) and Sunday (3:00pm) at the Bethel Congregational United Church of Christ in Beaverton. Free admission for all.
– 29th Annual Oregon Potters Association Ceramic Showcase and Gathering of the Guilds this Friday, Saturday and Sunday at the Oregon Convention Center. This is the nations largest show and sale of hand-crafted pottery, sculpture, metal arts, jewelry, beads, glass, handweaving, garden art, home accessories and other works with over 150 vendors. There will also be live music, giveaways, demonstrations and much more; best of all, admission is free!
– Green Gardening Fair and Spring Native Plant Sale this Saturday from 10:00am – 2:00pm at the Tualatin Hills Nature Park Interpretive Center in Beaverton. Free admission, all ages. From web site: “Learn sustainable gardening techniques through activities and information booths where you will be able to learn about composting, watering, native plants, and much more! Visit our Native Plant Sale where you’ll be able to choose from a wide variety of native trees, shrubs, and perennials. Friends of the Tualatin Hills Nature Park sponsor this event with proceeds going toward future park improvements and environmental education programs.”
– Fifth annual 82nd Avenue of Roses Parade & Carnival Days this Saturday beginning at 10:00am. There will be a community fair, carnival rides, free live music, a classic car cruise-in, clowns, free pony rides and much more all happening at Eastport Plaza at SE 82nd and Holgate.
– Free writing workshops this Saturday with Write Around Portland at various locations around the city. Journals, pens and light snacks will be provided. One workshop per person and pre-registration is required. To register, please call (503) 796-9224 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, phone number and the workshop location you would like to attend. See web site for more details!
– Make art with “Discover your inner artist… at the library!” this Saturday from 2:00pm – 4:00pm at the Collins Gallery inside Multnomah County’s Central library. Free!
– Alder Creek’s 19th Annual Spring Paddle Festival this Saturday and Sunday at Vancouver Lake Park (just over the I-5 bridge); free admission for two days of clinics, boat demos, and paddlesport fun! Parking is $3.
– Just Between Friends Children’s & Maternity Resale Event this Saturday and Sunday at the Portland Expo Center Hall A. On Sunday many items will be on sale for half-off. From web site: “SHOP- Over 40,000 sq. ft. of high quality children’s and maternity items at unbelievably low prices. Just Between Friends is Oregon’s best place to find top quality clothing, cribs, strollers, swings, toys & more at prices that are 50%-90% off retail. One gigantic place to buy and sell –twice a year.”
– Hillsdale Springfest this Sunday from 9:30am – 6:00pm starting with free beignets at Three Square Grill and the opening of the Hillsdale Farmers Market and Rieke Elementary school’s annual Art Fair. Free admission for all, and the music plays from 1:30pm on. In addition, the Toyota Farm to Table Tour will make a stop at the market, pairing local chefs with local farmers to offer complimentary tastings. Click here for the full schedule of events (opens a PDF).
– May Day 2011 Rally & March beginning at 2:00pm with an activist fair, a 3:00pm rally and 4:00pm march. This International Workers Day event will take place at the South Park Blocks at SW Park and Salmon in downtown Portland.
– Portland’s 7th Annual World Laughter Day Celebration takes place this Sunday from 2:00pm – 3:30pm at Portland’s Saturday Market. Ha-ha-ha, laugh for the fun of it and join in with others — there will even be mini Laughter Yoga sessions!
– The Edible Front Yard, a free book event this Sunday at the Portland Nursery (9000 SE Division Street), 3:00pm start time. Hosted by Powell’s Books for Home and Garden.
– Tualatin Valley Community Band free concert “May Melodies” this Sunday beginning at 3:00pm inside the Tualatin High School Auditorium.