Weekend on the Cheap:
– Submission from Frank:
Sesame Street Live comes to the Memorial Coliseum this Friday Through Sunday!
When Super Grover loses his superness, Sesame Street needs a hero! Never fear, Elmo and his team of Healthy Heroes are here. Teaching lessons of healthy habits through song and dance, Elmo, Abby Cadabby and your favorite Sesame Street friends will explore exercise, nutrition, sleep/energy and hygiene â€“ all in a quest to put the â€œsuperâ€ back in Super Grover. Itâ€™s Elmoâ€™s Healthy Heroes to the rescue!
Portland on the Cheap readers get the opportunity to purchase discounted tickets at all price levels from Rose Quarter Group Sales!
Opening Night (Friday May 13th): All Seats* $13.50!! (*does not include Floor Rows 1-10)
May 14th and 15th:
Floor (Row 1-10) – $33.75 (Reg. $37)
Floor (Row 11-20) – $18.75 (Reg. $25)
100 Level Lower – $18.75 (Reg. $25)
100 Level Upper – $13.50 (Reg. $19)
Order your DISCOUNTED Tickets Here:
Or call: 503.963.3887
– It’s the final days of PCC’s annual Art Beat, now until Saturday at PCC Cascade, Rock Creek, Southeast and Sylvania campuses. Plenty of free events ranging from lectures, musical and dance performances, art showings, demos and much much more, all open to the public.
– “UTV” improv-comedy at the Unscriptables Studio, 8:00pm this Friday and Saturday, ‘pay what you want’ admission. From web site: “Our new hit format is a fast paced improv show based on television shows. You decide what you want to see. Spanish Soap Opera? Talk Show? An old Film Noir? Then we flip through them all, including commercials for products you make up. Ultimately you decide which show you want to see unfold.”
– Tualatin River Bird Festival, Friday – Sunday at the Tualatin River National Wildlife Refuge. From web site: “Join the Friends of Tualatin River National Wildlife Refuge for a 4-day celebration of these amazing avian animals! Over 50 lectures, workshops, walks, tours, and hand-on activities are planned from beginning bird walks to special photography paddles along the Tualatin River.” Many of these activities are free, please see web site for more info.
– 12th Annual UFO Festival Friday and Saturday at McMenamins Hotel Oregon in McMinnville, features a costume parade, live music, kids’ activities, UFO speakers, UFO movies and much more. Some events free, others have a small cost, please see web site for schedule and details.
– Audubon Society of Portland’s Native Plant Sale this Saturday and Sunday, 10:00am – 4:00pm both days. Over 100 species of Oregon wildflowers, shrubs, and trees will be available for sale, plus free educational sessions.
– City of Portland “Ten Toes Express” Neighborhood Walks, meets 9:00am Saturday at the NE corner of NE 15th & Broadway near Lloyd Center for a free guided walk of Irvington Classic Homes and Heritage Trees. Rain or shine, free.
– 2011 Women in Trades Career Fair this Saturday from 9:00am – 3:00pm at the NECA / IBEW Electrical Training Center in far NE Portland on Airport Way. This event is open to the public with free admission, free parking, free childcare and offers dozens of hands-on activities designed to introduce women and girls to the possibility of a future career in the trades.
– Free Women on Bikes Clinic sponsored by the City of Portland’s SmartTrips program, Saturday 10:00am – 1:00pm at Peninsula Park Community Center. Gracie’s Wrench will cover basic bike maintenance, flat tire repair and cleaning techniques.
– International Migratory Bird Day, 10:00am – 3:00pm this Saturday at Tryon Creek State Park. Join the staff and volunteers at Tryon Creek State Natural area both on the trails and around the nature center for a celebration of birds with free guided hikes and demonstrations.
– 5th Annual St. Johns Bizarre and Parade this Saturday from 10:00am – 6:00pm, free activities for the entire family includes bizarre, local music, street performers, a vendorâ€™s market, food, a Bier Garten and more.
– Oyster Fest 2011 at EaT: An Oyster Bar, 12:00pm – 6:00pm this Saturday. Free admission, nominal cost for food and spirits.
– The Northwest Examiner Community Awards, 7:00pm Saturday at St. Patrick’s Church in NW Portland. Enjoy an evening of food and fun in recognition and support of community citizens making a difference! Free and open to the public.
– Premiere screening of â€˜Wake Before I Die,’ Sunday night 6:00pm at McMenamins Bagdad Theater, free admission. Come support this Portland-made film featuring a local cast and crew. Doors open at 5:00pm and minors are admitted with parent or guardian.