Weekend on the Cheap:
– National Bike to Work Day is this Friday, and Portland will celebrate with some cool events, including:
* (7:00am) show your bike helmet at any of the six Portland Grand Central Bakeries on Friday, May 20th and receive a free coffee or any pastry of your choice!
* “Bikes Mean Business” with the BTA, community leaders, and local businesses in downtown Portland at the US Bancorp Plaza from 9:00am to 1:00pm. There will be vendors, information and free treats.
– 9th Annual Community Wellness Fair this Friday from 10:00am – 2:00pm on the main floor of Holladay Park Plaza, across the street from Lloyd Center. There will be free health screenings, speakers, vendor booths, door prizes, giveaways, demos and much more, everyone is invited.
– Final weekend of “UTV” improv-comedy at the Unscriptables Studio, 8:00pm Friday and Saturday, ‘pay what you want’ admission. From web site: “Our new hit format is a fast paced improv show based on television shows. You decide what you want to see. Spanish Soap Opera? Talk Show? An old Film Noir? Then we flip through them all, including commercials for products you make up. Ultimately you decide which show you want to see unfold.”
– Wyoming comes to Portland’s Pioneer Courthouse Square this weekend with “Wyoming Forever West,” this Friday, Saturday and Sunday from 8:00am – 6:00pm. There will be samples of bison burgers and chili, live music performances, photo ops, a chance to win your own vacation to an authentic dude ranch and much more.
– Mt. Tabor Art Walk this Saturday and Sunday, 10:00am – 5:00pm. See web site to download the map of participating venues, free. Open 11:00am – 4:00pm.
– Submission from Stefanie: Saturday May 21st marks this season’s opening day of the Interstate Farmers Market at De La Salle High School (N. Interstate and N. Lombard). The market runs from 9:00am – 1:30pm and we will have produce vendors, prepared food vendors, meat and fish vendors, music at every market, a kids tent, and affordable cooking
demos. The market ends in late September. We can still use volunteers too – email IFM.firstname.lastname@example.org.
– Family Day at the Oregon Maritime Museum this Saturday with free admission.
– The Multnomah County Central Library presents “Mile in My Shoes: The Human Library,” this Saturday at 1:00pm in the US Bank Room. 32-year old Terris Harned will discuss what’s it like to be homeless.
– Sustainability Day at Tryon Creek State Park this Saturday, 1:00pm – 4:00pm. Learn simple and fun ways we can all live in tune with the Earth, a free event for the entire family.
– Portland Peace Choir free spring concert “Longing for Peace, Music from Troubled Lands,” this Saturday 7:30pm at St. David’s of Wales Episcopal Church on 28th & SE Harrison.
– The first of five “Sunday Parkways” kicks off this Sunday, 11:00am – 4:00pm with a SE Loop which connects Lents, Bloomington, Ed Benedict and Gilbert Heights Parks with a 7 mile traffic-free route that includes a long section of the Springwater Trail. Free for the entire family, please visit web site for activity schedule/performances, brochure and printable map.
– The Kenton Street Fair celebrates this Sunday from 11:00am – 7:00pm in the heart of the downtown Kenton commercial district on North Denver Avenue and between North Schofield & North Willis. This free event features live music, activities, vendors, community information and much more.
– The Chamber Music Society of Oregon presents their flagship performing ensemble, the Oregon Sinfonietta, with a concert this Sunday, 3:00pm at the Sunnyside Seventh-day Adventist Church. Admission is free and open to the public, donations gladly accepted at the door.
SPOTLIGHT: PORTLAND TRIVIA & PUB QUIZ NIGHTS
Ready to challenge your all-knowing intellect against others in some friendly competition? Have you exhausted rereading the hundreds upon hundreds of answers to your Trivial Pursuit cards? Or do you play along with Jeopardy and get all the category answers right? Then maybe it’s time to test out the waters of the Portland Trivia Night scene! Every night of the week, somewhere around the Portland area you will find some form of Trivia competition going on. Here is your shorthand guide to some of the major producers of this growing past time and where YOU can join in the fun!
Last Call Productions – description from web site: “Play. Compete. Win. Last Call hosts live team competition events using three unique show formats – Trivia, Name-That-Tune, and Bar Buffalo…With only 24 total questions, Last Call shows are specifically designed to be a spirited competition and NOT a school exam. Each show lasts approximately two hours and is filled with excitement, entertainment, and your favorite music between questions. Last Call shows also incorporate a distinctive point wagering system giving teams the ability to choose their own strategy, which in addition to a wide range of subjects and difficulty levels, ensures that every team has an equal chance to compete. To play, simply show up with your team of friends, sign in with the emcee, and follow the emcee’s instructions. To compete, simply eat, drink, and be merry. To win, simply score in the top three of teams at your location.”
Pub Quiz USA, offers weekly trivia at eight venues in Portland and Tigard.
Quizzy Trivia, provides weekly trivia games to about twelve to fifteen locations around the Portland area.
Rainbrain Trivia, offers weekly trivia on Monday nights and will host next week’s Helium Comedy Club Night of Trivia & Stand-up Comedy.
ShanRock’s Trivilogy, “Portland’s Best Quizzery since 2005,” ShanRock offers quizzes in about 13 venues around the Portland area.
– Portland Mercury’s article and guide: “Drink and Think A Peek into the City’s Bar Trivia Scene”
– PortlandNeighborhood.com offers up a good listing of trivia nights with the days and times clearly listed.
– Portland Bar Fly’s guide to trivia nights has a listing of places that offer trivia nights; please note that not all places profiled list the specific day and time for the trivia night, so it is best to call ahead and inquire.
Enjoy and have a great weekend everyone!