Weekend on the Cheap:
– Take a lunch break outside today with Keen’s Recess Revolution, 11:00am – 3:00pm in downtown Portland’s Director Park.
– The Portland Art Museum offers free admission this Friday from 5:00pm – 8:00pm.
– It’s time for the annual Rose Festival and the Waterfront Park Fun Center has changed its name to “CityFair.” Opens Friday at 5:00pm with free admission for everyone, plus a special free concert by Curtis Salgado and then the fireworks spectacular beginning at dusk. Free admission all weekend is extended to Veterans, Reservist, and Active Military and their legal dependents with Valid Military ID. If you can’t go on Friday, consider today’s Groupon deal: for $5, you get two one-day admissions to the Rose Festival CityFair (a $10 value) ; and for $10, you get a five-ride card at the CityFair (up to a $25 value).
– Starbucks Frappuccino fans: get the new Mocha Coconut Grande Frappuccino for only $2.00 after 2:00pm inside participating Safeway stores with your Safeway Club Card this Friday, May 27th – Monday, May 30th. Remember, that’s after 2:00pm inside Safeways with the Starbucks!
– County Fair in May? Yup, and it’s the Multnomah County Fair this Saturday, Sunday and Monday from 12:00pm – 7:00pm at Oaks Amusement Park. Free admission for all and features activities, entertainment, exhibits and more for the entire family.
– If you’re more in the mood for wine, then how bout’ the 21st annual Memorial Weekend in the Wine Country this Saturday, Sunday and Monday? Most wineries will be open from 11:00am – 5:00pm with over 150 participating wineries offering special tastings, music, food and other activities.
– Submission from Ingrid: Portland Youth Philharmonic free concert showcase this Sunday beginning at 4:00pm at Evans Auditorium inside Lewis and Clark College. Featuring highlights from PYP’s 2010-2011 season, this concert is free and open to the public. No tickets are necessary.
– Twilight Repertory Theater presents “Lobby Hero” with a “pay-what-you-will” 2:00pm show this Sunday at the ShoeBox Theatre.
SPOTLIGHT: PORTLAND FREE SUMMER CONCERTS AND OUTDOOR MUSIC PROGRAMS FOR 2011
Start planning your summer with these free outdoor concerts, musical performances and even theater all over the Portland metro area! Now let’s hope for the sun to come out soon!
Portland Parks and Recreation Concerts in the Park, begins July 5th and runs almost every day of the week until the end of August at various parks around Portland.
Portland Parks and Recreation Washington Park Summer Festival, concerts begin at 6:00pm starting on Thursday, August 4th and run every day until Saturday, August 13th.
Portland Festival Symphony brings their music to neighborhood parks beginning on July 31st until August 14th. All concerts begin at 6:00pm.
Pioneer Courthouse Square Noon Tunes Summer Concert Series, begins on July 5th and running until August 18th. Co-Presented by Muve Music & KINK.fm, every Tuesday and Thursday from 12:00pm – 1:00pm. From web site: “In addition to the music, Portland Farmers Market and KINK.fm will partner to host Taste of Portland Farmers Market at the Square from 11:00am – 2:00pm each Noon Tunes concert day. Taste of the Market will feature a variety of Portland Farmers Market prepared food vendors and will offer downtown visitors a mix of high quality, locally-sourced lunch options while enjoying some great tunes during the noon hour.”
Oregon Symphony in the Neighborhoods holds an annual tradition of launching the Oregon Symphony season around the beginning of September, and weâ€™re hoping this year theyâ€™ll do the same. Last year they held their concert on a Thursday evening; look for it at Tom McCall Waterfront Park around Labor Day weekend.
Tualatin Hills Park and Recreation District Concerts and Theater In The Park, beginning July 7th and going through August 11th. All performances run 6:00pm â€“ 8:00pm at various parks around the Beaverton area.
Beaverton Last Tuesdays, community concerts, 5:00pm â€“ 8:00pm. Toque Libre plays June 28th; Patrick Lamb plays on July 26th; and Keegan Smith and the Farm will play on August 30th. All concerts are played at the public plaza at the Round. The Round Fountain Plaza, 12600 SW Crescent Street, is located adjacent to the Beaverton Central light rail MAX station. Parking for the event is available at The Round and in the former Westgate Theatre parking lot accessible from Cedar Hills Boulevard.
Oregon City Carnegie Center Summer Concert Series, starting July 7th with the Willamette Falls Symphony. Concerts will play Thursday evenings from 6:30pm – 8:30pm until August 25th.
Tualatin Concerts on the Commons, every Friday night at 6:30pm beginning on July 1st and running through August 26th.
City of West Linn’s 5th annual Music in the Park kicks off with Keegan Smith and the Fam on Thursday, July 21st and runs every Thursday night with a new performer until August 18th. Concerts begin at 6:30pm at Tanner Creek Park.
Sandy Summer Sounds and Starlight Cinema, Wednesday nights on August 3rd, 10th, 17th, 24th and 31st on the Main Stage. Amphitheater musical performances occur Sundays on July 3rd, July 17th, July 24th and August 31st. Movies will play Sunday nights July 31st – August 28th. From web site: “…Now in its 16th year…the series kicks off with Shakespere in Park on July 3, brought back by popular demand. Also, on the afternoon August 3 we have added a Brewgrass Festival that will feature two bands and a variety of microbrews to sample. As always all of the shows will be held in beautiful Meinig Park, located just behind City Hall at 39250 Pioneer Blvd. and are FREE to the public.”
City of Vancouver 2011 Summer concerts in Esther Short Park starts 12:00pm Wednesdays with Terry Lee Noon Concerts from July 6th â€“ August 10th. The Riverview Six to Sunset Concerts are Thursday evenings from July 7th â€“ August 11th.
Wilsonville Rotary Concert series has yet to announce their lineup for their 2011 summer concert series, see web site for further developments. Concerts in summer 2010 were held Thursday nights at 6:30pm at Town Center Park, adjacent to the Clackamas County Visitor’s Center/Chamber of Commerce.
Showtime at Shute Park Summer Concert Series, usually held Thursday nights, no information for 2011 is currently available.
Forest Grove’s Music in the Park series returned in 2010 with a few Sunday concerts at Rogers Park; no information for 2011 is currently available, but you can check the Forest Grove Chamber of Commerce web site for updates.
Chehalem Valley Chamber of Commerce Tunes On Tuesday is currently planning for the fifth season of this weekly showcase. Th concerts are usually held in Newbergâ€™s Rotary Centennial Park beginning at 6:30pm.
Sherwoodâ€™s Music on the Green happens every Wednesday night, 6:30pm at Stella Olsen Park beginning July 6th and running through August 17th.
Oregon Square Lunchbox Concerts, located at NE Holladay Street between 7th and 8th, near Lloyd Center Mall. Begins 12:00pm on Wednesday, June 15th with Pepe & The Bottle Blondes and continues every Wednesday until August 24th.
– Moonlight and Music Concert Series, every Sunday evening from 6:00pm â€“ 7:30pm, beginning July 10th and running through August 21st at Millennium Plaza Park.
– Sounds of Summer Concert Series, every Wednesday night from 6:30pm â€“ 8:30pm, July 60h â€“ August 24th at Foothills Park.
– Summer Splash Concerts, every Friday from 12:00pm â€“ 1:30pm, July 8th through August 26th at Millennium Plaza Park.
Have we missed any? Please chime in! For more listings of concerts INDOORS and out, please visit Concert Co-Op. Have a great Memorial Day weekend!