From Colleen: Smokin’ Ladies Party: Every last Wednesday of the month join us at The Mark Cigar Bar, located in The Shilo Inn. Your new once a month ‘go to’ place with friends! Drink specials, tastings, massage, interesting inside authorities, chocolate, special guests, and other surprises just for the ladies! This week we are excited to have Jason w/ Broadway Cigars, shoe shine and purse shine by Greg with “Aspire Your Attire”, hair tips by Seventy- Seven Salon, chair massages, and more!
On September 3-4, Bank of America Merrill Lynch is offering local cardholders free admission to some of Portlandâ€™s most exciting cultural venues through Museums on Us. Participating local venues include: Lan Su Chinese Garden, Pittock Mansion and Portland Art Museum.
Other Events of Note:
– The Oregon State Fair is in full swing until next Monday; they offer special discount days and gate giveaways all through the week, see their web page for more.
– The Volunteers of Portland Center for the Performing Arts presents their final PCPA Noontime Showcase: Sunset Traffic Jam, this Wednesday August 31st at 12:00pm, free.
– Oregon Symphony’s annual Waterfront Concert is this Thursday, September 1st, beginning with a 5pm performance by the Portland Youth Philharmonic. Free.
– Portland First Thursday monthly art gallery receptions and openings in downtown Portland, Old Town / Chinatown, Northwest and the Pearl, generally from 6:00pm â€“ 8:30pm. Click here for a printable walking map.
– Art in the Pearl returns this weekend, Saturday – Monday at the Northwest Portland Park blocks with “art, theater, music, and hands-on activities for people of all ages.”
– For plenty more event listings, you gotta go to PDX Pipeline!
Finally, are you “Daily-Dealed Out?” We’ve subscribed to a bunch of sites and our inbox is overwhelming (especially after returning from vacation!). It appears that we are not alone; this Forbes article details how Facebook and Yelp are cutting back on their offers, and this recent cover story “Cheat Local!” from Willamette Week also mentions how mighty Google’s offers haven’t sold that well.
We here at POTC love to save money and we are very selective about what Daily Deal we buy — in the past we may have bought at least 2 offers every week, now we probably buy once every two weeks. One offer that we couldn’t resist was today’s Groupon for two movie tickets and popcorn to Cinetopia Progress Ridge for $17. However, like all deals, this one expires in just over 2 months and there are not any must-see movies scheduled until Thanksgiving (hello Twilight fans), but this is our opportunity to see if all the hype and accolades for Cinetopia is for real. We thought about splurging for the final Harry Potter at Cinetopia, but we would have spent over $30 on tickets; instead we went to the Roseway Theater on 72nd and Sandy for the 3-D experience for only $9 each.
At any rate, we are back but our motivation to blog is lacking; check back next week or subscribe to our RSS feed for our new post. We’ve also updated our Birthday Perks page with new user submissions. That’s all for now, have a great rest of the week and a super Labor Day weekend.