Article of the Week:
“Look for travel deals on these websites, but book quick before they go away,” by Terry Richard in the Sunday, September 25th issue of the Oregonian. Offers a run down of some pretty nifty travel web sites for saving money.
Monday, October 3rd:
– Oregon Days of Culture all week long, check out the web site for numerous free and low cost events to partake in around the metro area.
– PCPA Noontime Showcase: “Liberty & Union: Presidential campaign songs of the 1860 & 1864 elections.” Free, 12:00pm – 1:00pm. Located in the Hatfield Hall rotunda at Portland Center for the Performing Arts, 1111 SW Broadway, Portland.
– OMSI Science Pub at McMenamins Bagdad Theater begins at 7:00pm with the presentation “Brainstorm: Exploring the Genesis of Innovation.” Science Pub is open to ages 21+, or minor with adult. $5 suggested donation.
Tuesday, October 4th:
– PCPA Noontime Showcase: ‘Portland Open Studios.’ Free artist talk and demonstration by ceramic artist Careen Stoll, 12:00pm – 1:00pm.
– First Tuesday Music Series at Lake Oswego Library, 7:00pm â€“ 8:30pm featuring 2jazzguitars, free.
– First Tuesday in downtown Hillsboro, 6:00pm â€“ 8:00pm. Stop by the Glenn & Viola Walters Cultural Arts Center for the First Tuesday opening reception with house concert and light refreshments provided by Claeys Catering. Features ‘Nuestra Comida/Our Food’ a traveling exhibition of photographs organized by the Chiapas Photography Project and the Archivo Fotografico Indigena.
– Piano recital by Adam Aleksander, 7:30pm at Mago Hunt Recital Hall on the campus of the University of Portland. From web site: “In this free performance, the pianist plays Liszt’s Transcendental Etudes, plus music by Schubert and Schubert song transcriptions by Liszt.”
Wednesday, October 5th:
– PCPA Noontime Showcase: ‘Northwest Childrenâ€™s Theatre.’ Free, 12:00pm – 1:00pm.
– Free benefit concert “PCSO Dissected,” by ensembles made up of musicians from the Portland Columbia Symphony Orchestra, performing at downtown Portland’s First United Methodist Church. 7:30pm start time, donations accepted.
Thursday, October 6th:
– PCPA Noontime Showcase: ‘The Spitfires Swing Jazz Group.’ Free, 12:00pm – 1:00pm.
– First Thursday Portland, the monthly art gallery event celebrates 25 years in downtown Portland, Old Town / Chinatown, Northwest and the Pearl. Click here for a printable walking map.