Article of the Week:
“The Best Retailers for Free Samples,” by Seth Fiegerman for Yahoo’s Financially Fit.
Monday, October 10th:
– 14th annual Environmental Affairs Symposium at Lewis and Clark College, daily Monday – Thursday with the topic “Citisphere,” which “seeks to understand how the complex system of world cities works among other spheres of human and environmental significance.” All symposium events are free and open to the public.
– The Volunteers of PCPA presents “PCPA Noontime Showcase: Catherine Garvin,” with a staged reading of ‘Emma Lily’. Starts at 12:00pm, free.
– OMSI Science Pub at McMenamins Bagdad Theater begins at 7:00pm with the presentation “Brainstorm: Exploring the Genesis of Innovation.” Science Pub is open to ages 21+, or minor with adult. $5 suggested donation.
Tuesday, October 11th:
– Community Cinema screening of “Deaf Jam,” 6:00pm at downtown Portland’s Turnbull Center. Free for all ages.
– Free benefit concert and silent auction at the Beaverton Christian Church, featuring opera and musical performances by soprano Aline Bahamondez and pianist Mandy Lefebvr. 7:00pm, all proceeds will benefit the Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation of America.
– Race Talks: Opportunities for Dialogue presents “Post-Racial, Fact or Fiction? Millennials Speak!” 7:00pm at McMenamins Kennedy School, free for all ages. Description from web site: “Is a post-racial society possible? Today’s youth, the Millennials, speak out. Sharing their perspectives and experiences on past and future, a panel of young, local activists offer their own take on how issues of race play out today.”
– Oregon Encyclopedia holds their public history series ‘Stumptown Stories’ at downtown Portland’s Rialto Room. Michael Munk presents “Real Class Warfare: The Great 1934 Longshore Strike in Portland,” beginning at 7:30pm, free, 21 and over only.
Wednesday, October 12th:
– Author Kerry Cohen reads from her book “Seeing Ezra: A Mother’s Story of Autism, Unconditional Love, and the Meaning of Normal,” 7:30pm at Powell’s Books at Cedar Hills Crossing, free.
Thursday, October 13th:
– Foot Traffic All-Comer Cross Country meet in North Portland’s Overlook Park, begins 5:00pm – 6:00pm depending on age. Cost is $3 for youth and $5 for adult.
– McMenamins Kennedy School 14th Anniversary Celebration parties with “live music, food and drink specials, kids’ silliness and more.” 4:00pm – 10:00pm, free for all ages.