Article of the Week:
“The Best Retailers for Free Samples,” by Seth Fiegerman for Yahoo’s Financially Fit.
Monday, October 10th:
– 14th annual Environmental Affairs Symposium at Lewis and Clark College, daily Monday – Thursday with the topic â€œCitisphere,â€ which “seeks to understand how the complex system of world cities works among other spheres of human and environmental significance.” All symposium events are free and open to the public.
– The Volunteers of PCPA presents “PCPA Noontime Showcase: Catherine Garvin,” with a staged reading of ‘Emma Lily’. Starts at 12:00pm, free.
– OMSI Science Pub at McMenamins Bagdad Theater begins at 7:00pm with the presentation â€œBrainstorm: Exploring the Genesis of Innovation.â€ Science Pub is open to ages 21+, or minor with adult. $5 suggested donation.
Tuesday, October 11th:
– Community Cinema screening of “Deaf Jam,” 6:00pm at downtown Portland’s Turnbull Center. Free for all ages.
– Free benefit concert and silent auction at the Beaverton Christian Church, featuring opera and musical performances by soprano Aline Bahamondez and pianist Mandy Lefebvr. 7:00pm, all proceeds will benefit the Crohnâ€™s and Colitis Foundation of America.
– Race Talks: Opportunities for Dialogue presents “Post-Racial, Fact or Fiction? Millennials Speak!” 7:00pm at McMenamins Kennedy School, free for all ages. Description from web site: “Is a post-racial society possible? Today’s youth, the Millennials, speak out. Sharing their perspectives and experiences on past and future, a panel of young, local activists offer their own take on how issues of race play out today.”
– Oregon Encyclopedia holds their public history series ‘Stumptown Stories’ at downtown Portland’s Rialto Room. Michael Munk presents “Real Class Warfare: The Great 1934 Longshore Strike in Portland,” beginning at 7:30pm, free, 21 and over only.
Wednesday, October 12th:
– Author Kerry Cohen reads from her book “Seeing Ezra: A Mother’s Story of Autism, Unconditional Love, and the Meaning of Normal,” 7:30pm at Powell’s Books at Cedar Hills Crossing, free.
Thursday, October 13th:
– Foot Traffic All-Comer Cross Country meet in North Portland’s Overlook Park, begins 5:00pm – 6:00pm depending on age. Cost is $3 for youth and $5 for adult.
– McMenamins Kennedy School 14th Anniversary Celebration parties with “live music, food and drink specials, kids’ silliness and more.” 4:00pm – 10:00pm, free for all ages.