Article of the Week:
“Restaurant Foods That Are Ripping You Off,” from Forbes.com; interesting read on what people order at restaurants that take in the biggest profits. Be sure to click on the photos for the slide show of foods.
Monday, October 24th:
– Today is “Food Day,” and there are plenty of free and low-cost events around the Portland area to celebrate “the push for healthy, affordable food produced in a sustainable, humane way.”
– Smart Saving lecture series presents “Credit Score Got You Down?,” at the Midland Library beginning at 6:15pm, free.
– Lake Oswego Public Library Storytelling Festival, all week Monday – Saturday at various venues around Lake Oswego. This free event features oral history interviews, storytelling workshops, performances, a video contest, local history presentations and a Oswego Pioneer Cemetery tour by lantern light. Space is limited for some of the events so be sure to check the schedule and pre-register if necessary.
Tuesday, October 25th:
– “Stumptown Stories: The Haunting of Portland,” 7:30pm at downtown Portland’s Rialto, free. 21 and over only.
Wednesday, October 26th:
– Film Club screening “A Screaming Man” beginning at 6:30pm at Cedar Mill Community Library, free. From web site: “All Film Club programs are free and open to the public. Selected films are not previewed and may contain objectionable material. Film Club attendance is recommended for adults, aged 18 and over. Coffee, tea and popcorn are provided, and a lively discussion follows each film.”
– Book event reading at Powell’s City of Books on Burnside beginning at 7:30pm, from web site: “From Steve Inskeep, host of NPR’s Morning Edition, comes Instant City (Penguin Press), a portrait of Karachi, Pakistan, that illuminates the perils and possibilities of rapidly growing metropolises all around the world. As Inskeep puts it, we are now living in the age of the “instant city,” when new megacities can emerge practically overnight, creating a host of unique pressures surrounding land use, energy, housing, and the environment. Geoff Norcross, KOPB’s Morning Edition host, joins Inskeep for a conversation about one of the world’s fastest-growing cities. Cosponsored by OPB.”
Thursday, October 27th:
– Last Thursday on Alberta — the weather is shaping up to be great and it is likely that the streets will be closed for one more hurrah of the monthly Last Thursday.
– After Last Thursday, head on down to Old Town’s Ground Kontrol for “The Video Game Quiz Show – 2nd Annual Spooktacular Episode!” beginning at 9:00pm, 21 and over only.
– Quarter Orange’s 2nd Annual Halloween Kickoff Extravaganza runs from 8:00pm – 2:00am at Holocene and features free music, film screening and more.