Article of the Week:
“7 ways to make the most of gift cards,” by Dana Dratch for Bankrate.com.
Monday, December 5th:
– “Holiday Shopping on a Budget,” free Smart Saving program at the Midland Library starting at 6:30pm.
– OMSI Science Pub at McMenamins Bagdad Theater presents “Sex, Drugs, and Sea Slime: The Oceans’ Oddest Creatures and Why They Matter,” 7:00pm start time. Science Pub is open to ages 21+, or minor with adult. $5 suggested cover charge, no RSVP or tickets required.
– History Pub at McMenamins Mission Theater presents â€œThe Civil War in the Northwest,â€ beginning at 7:00pm and featuring Fort Vancouver Chief Ranger and Historian Greg Shine. Free for all ages (minor with parent or guardian).
– All month: December is Customer Appreciation Month at Subway, and as a special thanks they are offering a regular 6″ Meatball Marinara or a regular 6″ Cold Cut Combo for just $2 each, now through December 31st at participating locations.
Tuesday, December 6th:
– Free Sweet Jim Beam Bacon Swiss Burger at Red Robin…the catch? You have to be named Jim, James or Jimbo (and have valid proof of ID) and you must RSVP on their Facebook page.
– Celebrate Native American Heritage Month with Multnomah County Library’s presentation of “The Beginnings of the Kalapuya People,” with storyteller and history keeper Esther Stutzman. 6:30pm start time at the Albina Library, free.
– Another night of History Pub at McMenamins Mission Theater, this one features a book release and history presentation by author Jane Comerford and her â€œA History of Northwest Portland: From the River to the Hills,” 7:00pm, free. Minor with parent or guardian.
– Hillsboro’s First Tuesday art receptions at the Sequoia Gallery and the Cultural Arts Center, 6:00pm – 8:00pm in downtown Hillsboro. There will be a house concert in the Arts Center lobby and refreshments provided by Claeys Catering. In addition, students and teachers from MIR Music will perform a winter recital at 6:30pm.
– Lake Oswego’s First Tuesday Music Series features the music styling of Kansas City Rhythm Kings, 7:00pm at the Lake Oswego Library, free.
Wednesday, December 7th:
– Free sack lunch concert at the Old Church, 12:00pm – 1:00pm. Today’s music features the Heartstrings Duo.
– Free holiday concert “Cherished Christmas Favorites” performed by the Vancouver Community Concert Band, 6:30pm at First United Methodist Church, free for all ages.
– More holiday music will be performed by the Clark College Orchestra with their performance of “Buried Treasures,” 7:30pm at Royal Durst Theater at Vancouver School of Arts and Academics. Admission is free, though donations will be gladly accepted.
– Free Christmas Concert series at Portland’s St. Andrews Chapel beginning at 7:00pm with the Ascension Catholic Church Choir. Each hour-long program is free and open to the public by calling (503) 257-7946 to reserve a seat.
Thursday, December 8th:
– Opening night for the 57th edition of the Christmas Ship Parade on the Columbia and Willamette Rivers. Tonight’s run begins at 7:00pm with the Willamette fleet parading from OMSI to Fremont Bridge, and the Columbia fleet parading around the I-5 Bridge area and Hayden Bay.
– Holidate with Downtown Portland continues with free parking at SmartPark garages until midnight (enter between 4:00pm â€“ 6:00pm), live music and special activities from participating retailers. Sponsored by Portland Mall Management, Inc. Tonightâ€™s specials include two-for-one admission to the Portland Art Museum and the Ben & Jerryâ€™s BOGO holiday menu.