Article of the Week:
– “12 Things Not to Buy During the Holidays,” by John Miley for Kiplinger.com.
Monday, December 12th:
– The Volunteers of Portland Center for the Performing Arts presents PCPA Noontime Showcase: Sally Harmon & Frank Gruner, a holiday piano and bass duo playing at 12:00pm. Free admission, located in the Rotunda of Antoinette Hatfield Hall.
Tuesday, December 13th:
– Second Tuesday at the Oregon Zoo, admission is just $4 per person. Show proof of fare that you rode the MAX and get an additional $1.50 off. Bonus: this offer also applies for the evening Zoo Lights event!
– 11th Annual Jefferson High School Multicultural Film Festival screens the movie “Good Hair” at the North Portland Library. 5:00pm start time, free and includes a discussion following the show.
– Independent Lens Community Cinema “Lioness,” 6:00pm at the George S. Turnbull Portland Center inside the White Stag Block in Old Town/Chinatown. Free admission for all ages.
– One of our favorite movies of all time is up on the big screen at McMenamins Bagdad Theater: the First Rule of Book Club Presents The Princess Bride, open to the public for all ages with the film starting at 7:00pm. Admission is $3 for adults and $1 for children, all profits will be donated to Street Books.
– The Oregon Encyclopedia’s Stumptown Stories presents “The Portland of A.E. Doyle,” free lecture beginning at 7:30pm in downtown Portland’s Rialto Pool Room (go to the basement for the Jack London Bar). 21 and over only.
Wednesday, December 14th:
– Lake Oswego Public Library annual Open House, 1:00pm – 4:00pm with holiday music by the Stafford Singers performing at 2:00pm. Free.
Thursday, December 15th:
– Play in Hillsdale Third Thursday with December’s theme â€œHoliday Dog Day.â€ From web site: “Hillsdale shops are open late with Great Deals, Events and Live Music! Local artists, musicians and home-based businesses will also join the fun. Look for the trail of balloons leading you to each participating business.” Businesses located near the Hillsdale Shopping Center.
– Peacock Lane opens and tonight and Friday is ‘Pedestrian-only Night,’ no motor vehicles allowed! Check out the light displays 6:00pm – 11:00pm.
– Drink Deck Portland 1st Year Anniversary Party, 7:00pm at Vendetta. Free admission, but you must RSVP here.