Weekend on the Cheap:
- Portlandia season premiere, catch it on the big screen at McMenamin’s Mission Theater beginning at 7:00pm. There will be an encore screening starting after 10:00pm.
- The cortandfatboy Midnight Movie: ‘E.T.’ playing 11:00pm at McMenamin’s Bagdad Theater, $3 admission, 21 and over only.
- First Friday free admission to the Children’s Museum, 4:00pm – 8:00pm
- Central Eastside Arts District First Friday Art Openings, 6:00pm – 9:00pm, free.
- Saturday is Winter Trails Day sponsored by REI. Description from web site: “Join REI for this traditional day of fun on Mt. Hood at the White River West Sno-Park located four miles east of Government Camp on Highway 35. Winter Trails is a SnowSports Industries America (SIA) program and is a FREE event featuring demo snowshoes from Atlas, MSR, Tubbs and Crescent Moon. Hot beverages and treats will be available. Non-profit partner, Adventures Without Limits will be offering free guided tours for participants. Participants should wear weather-appropriate clothing, including waterproof boots. Participants will also need an Oregon or Washington Sno-Park Pass to park. Passes are available at all Portland area REI stores.”
- First Saturday Music Series with the Oregon Chamber Players, starts at 2:00pm at the City of Milwaukie’s Ledding Library. Free.
- Chinese Tea Tasting, 2:00pm at the Hillsboro Main Library, free. From web site: “Celebrate National Hot Tea Month and the coming Chinese New Year by tasting three special Chinese Teas–green, oolong, and pu-erh tea. Learn about where the tea is grown, who picks it, and how it’s processed.”
- Portland Farmers Winter’s Market, 10:00am – 2:00pm at Shemanski Park in downtown Portland (SW Park Avenue & SW Salmon). From web site: “Shop for winter produce, meats, cheeses, wine, seafood, baked goods and more every Saturday in January and February. Hot food, warming soups and covered spaces available to chase away the chills.”
- Lan Su Chinese Garden free admission now until Monday, January 9th.
- Friday and Saturday are your last days to score Fresh Express salad kits for just $1 at area Fred Meyer stores.
- Bank of America’s Museums on Us program offers free admission to the Portland Art Museum, Pittock Mansion and the Lan Su Chinese Garden this Saturday and Sunday. To qualify for Museums on Us, customers must present their Bank of America or Merrill Lynch credit or debit card along with a photo ID to gain free general admission.
- Art.Write.Now. exhibition at Pacific Northwest College of Art, now through January 27th. This is the “first-ever traveling exhibition showcasing teen-produced, winning artwork from the Scholastic Art & Writing Awards.” Free, catch it in the Swigert Commons inside PNCA.
- Lake Oswego Millennium Concert Band free concert begins at 7:30pm Sunday at the Lakeridge High School Auditorium.
Spotlight: Entertainment Book 2012 Portland Edition
We’ve been getting Entertainment books for years and years now, usually from the students who sell them as part of a school fundraiser. There’s also Fred Meyer, local banks, libraries and other outlets to buy a book, or online direct from Entertainment.com. This week they are on sale for $20.12, includes free shipping. If you haven’t gotten your book yet, or maybe are a little unsure if you’ll use the coupons, we are hoping that this post will change your mind. Entertainment books are best known for the 2 for 1 coupons for local restaurants and attractions. But did you know that there are actually no-strings attached coupons for totally free items? Here are 15 great reasons to get your Entertainment book — all freebies!
- All American Ice Cream and Frozen Yogurt: small yogurt
- Ben & Jerry’s Ice Cream: kid’s cup or cone
- Club Sport: day pass
- Eco Car Wash: one Eco car wash ($6 value)
- Emerald City Smoothie: kid’s smoothie
- Figaro’s Pizza: breadsticks
- Garlic Jim’s Pizza: breadsticks
- Jack in the Box: two tacos
- McDonald’s: medium french fry
- Mt. Hood Athletic Club: day pass
- Papa John’s Pizza: breadsticks
- Pizza Schmizza: 16oz fountain soda
- Quiznos: one free cookie
- Regal Cinemas: one movie on your birthday — includes IMAX and 3-D flicks as well! (up to a $14 value)
- Samurai Sam’s: grilled egg roll
The value for the free movie at Regal Cinemas and the one free car wash at Eco Car Wash together add up the cost of a book and it is valid now though the end of November. There are certain coupons you can use over and over again, and there are some unadvertised specials that you can only find online. To stretch our Portland budget, we make great use out of the Entertainment book as well as the Chinook Book and we always find that at the end of the year, our savings more than make up the cost of the purchase.