Article of the Week:
“8 Things You Shouldn’t Buy in the Winter,” by Matt Brownwell for Yahoo’s Financially Fit.
Monday, January 9th:
– Today is the last day of free admission to the Lan Su Chinese Garden, open 10:00am – 5:00pm.
– Portland Center for Performing Arts and its volunteers presents the PCPA Noontime Showcase: Tears of Joy Theatre, “The Ugliest Duckling” Children’s Puppet Theatre, 12:00pm – 1:00pm, free.
– OMSI Science Pub at McMenamins Bagdad Theater presents “I Dig Bones: Adventures in Forensic Anthropology,” 7:00pm. Science Pub is open to ages 21+, or minor with adult. $5 suggested cover charge, no RSVP or tickets required.
Tuesday, January 10th:
– General admission to the Oregon Zoo is just $4 as part of Second Tuesdays; show proof of MAX fare and get an additional $1.50 off each passenger!
Wednesday, January 11th:
– Oregon Symphony Storytimes, 11:00am – 12:00pm at the Hollywood Library, free. Today’s performance features Mark Dubac and his clarinet.
– Independent Lens Community Cinema presents “Daisy Bates: The First Lady of Little Rock,” 6:00pm at the Turnbull Center in Old Town / Chinatown. Free.
– Multnomah County Library’s Smart Saving series presents “MoneyTime: Retirement,” 1:00pm – 3:00pm at North Portland library. Registration required; register online, in the library or by calling 503.988.5234.
– Second Wednesday Performing Arts Series at Lake Oswego Library presents Alan Shearman at 1:00pm, free.
Thursday, January 12th:
– Funhouse Lounge Grand Opening party with music by Laura Jane Willcock, 7:00pm – 10:00pm.
– Fiction Writing workshop, 7:00pm at Powell’s Cedar Hills Crossing. From web site: “With over 50 bestsellers to her credit, Jayne Ann Krentz is bringing her popular Fiction Writing Workshop to Powell’s â€” free of charge! Jayne will share her top five fiction-writing tips and answer your questions about writing fiction and navigating the publishing world.”
– Over at Powell’s on Burnside you’ll find the book event for “Chubster” beginning at 7:30pm. From web site: “You’ve heard that calorie counting is the most effective way to lose weight â€” because it’s true. And you’re still fat because you ignored it. Lucky for you, hipster Martin Cizmar has come up with the least awful diet plan of all time. In Chubster: A Hipster’s Guide to Losing Weight While Staying Cool (Mariner), he offers fellow chubby hipsters reasonable suggestions for how to lose weight the cool way, the “chubster” way.”