Weekend on the Cheap:
– This is the last weekend to take advantage of Red Robin’s $6.99 burger special — choose the cheeseburger, Whiskey River BBQ burger, All-American Patty Melt, Simply Grilled Chicken Sandwich, or the Crispy Chicken Sandwich. Ends this Sunday!
– Submission from Lara:
“Friday 4:00pm – 7:00pm: Fulton Park Community Center is hosting its first ever Family Martial Arts Night!!! This event will kick off with a showing of “Kung-Fu Panda,” (starting at 4PM) followed by demonstrations (starting at 5:45 PM) from The Westside and Eastside Academy of Kung Fu (combined), Mo Duk Pai Lion Dance Team, Capoeira Ijexa Portland, and Oregon Kendo Club. Some demonstrations will have optional audience participation for all ages. Bring your own picnic dinner and enjoy the show! This event is free and donations will be accepted to benefit Fulton Park Community Center. You may even purchase a ‘lucky money envelope’ for $1 to fill with cash to feed to the lion! Information will also be made available with how to become involved in helping to keep Fulton open, and off the table with Parks and Rec budget cuts!”
– Submission from Joe:
“Digital storytelling project about service-learning in Nicaragua by University of Portland students, faculty, and staff” What happens when eighteen students and three faculty and staff members travel to Nicaragua for three weeks to learn about the political, economical, and social situations of the country?
University of Portlandâ€™s Collaborative for International Studies & Global Outreach (CISGO) attempts to answer that question with Formation, Learning, and Service: University of Portland Students’ Exploration of Nicaragua, a digital storytelling project by communication studies professor Courtney Vail Fletcher and videographer/photographer Jeff D. Kennel.
The event is set for Friday, February 3rd from 5:00pm – 7:00pm in Buckley Center Room 163. It is free and open to the public, and will include a video presentation as well as a question-and-answer session.
– First Friday free admission to the Childrenâ€™s Museum, 4:00pm â€“ 8:00pm
– Central Eastside Arts District First Friday Art Openings, 6:00pm â€“ 9:00pm, free.
– The 22nd Annual Cascade Festival of African Films kicks off Friday with a 7:00pm screening of “Scheherazade, Tell Me a Story,” at the Hollywood Theater. There will be three other films playing on Saturday, please see schedule for venues and film descriptions. Free and open to the public on a first-come, first-seated basis.
– Bank of Americaâ€™s Museums on Us program offers free admission to the Portland Art Museum, Pittock Mansion and the Lan Su Chinese Garden this Saturday and Sunday. To qualify for Museums on Us, customers must present their Bank of America or Merrill Lynch credit or debit card along with a photo ID to gain free general admission.
– Burger King Free Onion Ring Weekend, Saturday and Sunday at participating locations and while supplies last. One value size per person per visit, not valid during breakfast hours.
– Tet Festival 2012, Saturday 10:00am – 6:00pm at the Oregon Convention Center. There will be dance and music performances, martial arts demos, a free health fair and more for just a $4 general admission.
– Free library program “LEAP Into Science,” 2:30pm – 4:30pm at the Capitol Hill Library. For ages 4 and up.
– Sticks & Stones Accessories Grand Opening party Saturday, 6:00pm – 10:00pm with food, drinks and music.
– The Hillsboro Community Youth Choir presents a free concert “Hillsboro to the MAX!,” 3:00pm Sunday at the Venetian Theater. From web site: “Then youâ€™ll love Hillsboro to the Max, a free concert that combines all three in a one-of-a-kind musical production. Featuring popular music from the 1840s to 2012, this musical revue will make the stories of the past come alive right before your eyes!”
– OMSI admission is just $2 per person as part of their First Sunday program.
– Bikes for Humanity PDX is offering free public bicycle tune-up clinics Sunday, 10:00am â€“ 4:00pm at Rivermark Credit Union (25th & SE Hawthorne). Donations to offset the cost of supplies and events are very welcome!
– Superbowl Sunday, Giants vs. Patriots, 3:30pm kick off on NBC! Nuff said.
– Burgerville Game Day special: 5 original cheeseburgers for $5 or 5 double cheeseburgers for $10. Sunday all day.
– Submission from Julz:
“Bargain Hunting Portland
Sunday, February 5
12:00pm – 5:00pm | FREE | All Ages
1332 West Burnside Street
The 9th session of Bargain Hunting is set to convene on Super Bowl Sunday, February 5, noon-5 at the Crystal Ballroom & Lolaâ€™s, 1332 W. Burnside St.
Bargain Hunting is a unique, collaborative, indie clearance sale event with over 50 of Portlandâ€™s best boutiques & designers all in one place.
Come early for best selection, stay late for best bargains. Bargain Hunting â€“ where Bloody Marys & bargains go hand in hand! Mingling & cocktails encouraged.
Bargain Hunting is a biannual sale featuring some of the best artists and locally owned boutiques in Portland. Vendors sell their high quality wares at rock bottom prices. Bargain Hunting is a great place for shoppers to find rare, one-of-a-kind, samples and limited run clothing, furnishings and more.”