Article of the Week:
“The Best and Worst Things to Buy in February,” by Lindsay Sakraida of Dealnews.com.
Monday, February 6th:
– Check out some snow sculptures in downtown Portland as artists make their creations from 11:00am – 2:00pm at SW 6th & Oak.
– Powell’s Books on Burnside book event, 7:30pm with “All There Is: Love Stories from StoryCorps.”
– OMSI Science Pub at McMenamins Bagdad Theatre presents “Lust, Chocolate and Prairie Voles: The Neuroscience of Pleasure and Love,” 7:00pm. $5 suggested donation, all ages.
– Beer and Movie Film Fest all week at the Academy Theatre (with classics such as ‘The Untouchables,’ ‘Star Trek II’, ‘Conan the Barbarian’ and more) plus 1982’s ‘The Thing,’ playing 9:45pm all week at the Laurelhurst Theatre.
Tuesday, February 7th:
– Multnomah County Library program “Leap Into Science: Do You See What I See?,” 10:00am – 12:00pm at the Central library in downtown Portland, free.
– Charles Dickens Birthday Party, 3:00pm – 5:30pm in the Watzek Library at Lewis and Clark College. There will be readings, music and birthday cake.
– Hillsboro’s First Tuesday art receptions at the Sequoia Gallery and the Cultural Arts Center, 6:00pm – 8:00pm in downtown Hillsboro.
– Lake Oswego’s First Tuesday Music Series features traditional Celtic music performed by Hanz Araki and his band, 7:00pm at the Lake Oswego Library, free.
– Broadway Books welcomes author Gary Geddes for his book “Drink the Bitter Root: A Search for Justice and Healing in Africa,” 7:00pm, free and open to the public.
Wednesday, February 8th:
– City Club of Portland Film Series presents “Schools Making A Difference: Portraits of Excellence, Engagement and Equity,” 5:45pm – 8:45pm at McMenamins Mission Theatre. Free and open to the public, this is a series of films, panel discussions and participant dialogues.
Thursday, February 9th:
– Grand re-opening of Beaverton’s Griffith Drive Goodwill beginning at 7:00am.
– The 22nd annual Cascade Festival of African Films continues with three films playing at 12:00pm, 1:45pm and 7:30pm. Free admission and open to the public.
– Ignite Portland returns to McMenamins Bagdad Theater, 5:00pm doors open and 7:00pm show time — free as always, all ages welcome, come early for best seating! Check out our previous blog about the event here.