Article of the Week:
“The Best Coupon Sites,” by Jane Magaro of Cheapism.com.
Monday, April 23rd:
– ‘Money Smart Week,’ learn more about money and how to manage it with these free seminars offered throughout the Portland area with topics such as maximizing your credit, budgeting, unraveling the mysteries of money, surviving a financial setback, raising financially aware kids and many more! These free seminars are sponsored by schools, libraries, financial institutions, government agencies and others to help promote financial education.
– Powell’s Cedar Hills Crossing book event with Ken Jennings (yes, that Ken Jennings) and his new book “Maphead,” 7:00pm, free.
Tuesday, April 24th:
– 15th Annual Cascade Job Fair, 11:00am – 3:00pm inside the gym of Portland Community College Cascade campus. Free admission plus there will be free workshops.
– Free workshop “Social Security Disability Benefits Talk,” 6:00pm at Beaverton City library.
– Oregon Encyclopedia’s Oregon History Night presents â€œChanging Shores: The Then and Now of the Columbia,â€ 6:30pm at McMenamins Edgefield, free, all ages welcome.
– Free book event, Cartoonists Talking, 6:45pm at Multnomah County Central Library. Comics creators T. Edward Bak and Vera Brosgol read from and discuss their works in honor of this upcoming weekend’s Stumptown Comics Fest.
– Portland African American Film Festival presents a special screening of the recent film “Red Tails,” 7:00pm at McMenamins Mission Theater. $5 general admission, minor with parent or guardian. Stay after the film for a discussion about local Tuskegee Airmen depicted in film.
Wednesday, April 25th:
– Columbia Slough Watershed Council hosts a group paddle on Smith & Bybee Lakes, ‘Bring Your Own Boat’ Paddle,’ at 5:30pm. Preregistration required, $5 suggested donation.
– Makinâ€™ It with Destination DIY, 7:00pm at ADX (417 SE 11th), free. From web site: â€œMakinâ€™ It with Destination DIYâ€ is a project night and listening party. Treat your ears to unreleased snippets of Destination DIY and music selections courtesy of DJs Lindsie Feathers and Tobias. Please bring your knitting, sketch book, arduino circuit board, zine stapler, Bedazzler, collage materials or whatever else youâ€™re working on. There will be FREE pizza from Cafe Oasis & Lagunitas beer.”
– Free Trivia and Comedy Night at Helium Comedy Club, 8:00pm. From web site: “Eat, drink, play trivia and enjoy some of Portland’s hottest comics performing between rounds. Space is limited – call 888-643-8669 to make your reservation.” Admission is free, but each person must order at least two items from the drink or food menu.
Thursday, April 26th:
– Last Thursday on Alberta, 6:00pm – 9:00pm with most of the action taking place between 15th and 33rd Avenues along Alberta Street.
– This is the final full week to check out OMSI’s LEGO exhibit “The Art of the Brick,” included with general admission.