Article of the Week:
“The Best and Worst Things to Buy in May,” by Lindsay Sakraida at Dealnews.com.
Submission from Ben & Jerry’s Ice Cream:
We recently deployed a promotion for three Ben & Jerry’s locations in Bend and Portland. If you live in or around Bend or Portland, Oregon, there are three Ben & Jerry’s locations giving away free ice cream. (Buy one, get one Free)
This is a downloadable coupon accessed via their Facebook Fan Pages. Redemption limited to 5000 at each location. Offer ends 5/31/2012. Here are the links:
Ben & Jerry’s scoop shop location Clackamas Town Center Mall (Happy Valley, OR).
Ben & Jerry’s scoop shop location on Hawthorne (Portland, OR)
Ben & Jerry’s scoop shop location at The Old Mill Shopping District (Bend, OR)
Submission from Joel:
The Oregon Society of CPAs is holding the “Oregon Saves photo contest” until May 14. We’re just asking folks to write down what they’re saving for, snap a photo with it and send it in. We’re giving away $75 to the winner and a $50 and $25 Visa Gift card to two random drawings. Here are the details Thought this may be of interest to your readers, so just wanted to share.
Monday, May 7th:
– Portland Community College 2012 Art Beat, 25th anniversary celebration all week Monday – Friday. From web site: “Art Beat exemplifies PCC’s dedication to education and community. Art Beat Week is filled with music, dance, literature, sculpture, painting, theater-all things artistic! From presentations to performances to workshops, you’ll find something fascinating to attend. Join us! Bring your friends and family! All is free; all are welcome.”
– Film screening of “Cycling Through China,” 7:00pm at NW Film Center’s Whitsell Auditorium. Admission is by donation. Director John Ripper, producer Charles Jennings, and special guests will be in attendance.
– Oregon Encyclopedia presents “The Dynamic Geological History of Oregon,” 7:00pm at McMenamins Mission Theater for History Night, free admission.
– OMSI Science Pub, 7:00pm at McMenamins Bagdad Theater, presents “Epigenetics: The Merger of Nature and Nurture.” $5 suggested cover charge, all ages welcome.
– Powell’s book event co-sponsored by the OHSU Brain Institute, “Subliminal: How Your Unconscious Mind Rules Your Behavior,” 7:30pm at Powell’s City of Books. Free.
– Down to Funny comedy stand up showcase, 8:00pm at East Burn, free.
Tuesday, May 8th:
– Teacher Appreciation from John’s Incredible Pizza — get a free buffet and drink with this certificate. Must present valid Teacher ID.
– Oregon Zoo Second Tuesday offers admission for just $4; show proof of Tri-Met fare and receive an additional $1.50 off per rider.
– Free film screening “Journey from the Fall,” 5:00pm at the North Portland Library as part of the 11th Annual Jefferson High School Multicultural Film Festival.
– Independent Lens Community Cinema free screening of the film “Strong!,” 6:00pm at the University of Oregon Turnbull Center on Floor 3R of the White Stag Block, 70 NW Couch Sreet. Stay after the film for a panel and Q&A session.
– Book release party “Cycling Sojourner: A Guide To The Best Multi-Day Tours in Oregon,” 6:30pm at River City Bicycles with author Ellee Thalheimer. Free.
Wednesday, May 9th:
– Second Wednesday Performing Arts Series presents performer Henrik Bothe, 1:00pm at the Lake Oswego Public Library. Free.
– Multnomah County Library Smart Saving series “Credit Score Got You Down?” 5:30pm at the Holgate Library, free.
– Documentary screening of the “OH” Project, An Oral History: Healing from the Cambodian Genocide, 7:00pm at Portland State University’s Smith Memorial Student Union. This event is free and open to the public.
– Powell’s book event, “Titanic: Voices from the Disaster,” 7:00pm at Powell’s Cedar Hills Crossing, free.
Thursday, May 10th:
– Powell’s book event “What Money Can’t Buy,” 7:30pm at Powell’s City of Books, free.