Article of the Week:
– 2012 Summer Events Guide from the Oregonian’s May 18th A&E section. Get the inside scoop on this summer’s offerings of concerts, visual arts, music, theater, dance, outdoor events and more.
Monday, May 21st:
– World Forestry Center general admission is just $5 for the month of May; Friday is the premiere of their new exhibit “Focus on Nature: Wildcats of the World.”
– OMSI Science Pub presents “The Cheese Stands Alone: The Science Behind Oregon’s Acclaimed Artisan Cheeses” 7:00pm at Hillsboro’s Venetian Theatre. $5 suggested cover charge, ages 21+ with ID, or minor with adult.
– Powell’s 7:00pm book event features “Cat Daddy: What the World’s Most Incorrigible Cat Taught Me about Life, Love, and Coming Clean,” at Powell’s Books at Cedar Hills Crossing, free.
Tuesday, May 22nd:
– “Stylishly Frugal Living,” free presentation at the Albina Library, 6:30pm – 7:30pm.
– Cascadia Lecture Series “Quake Safe Schools,” 7:00pm at the Mercy Corps Action Center right at the Skidmore Fountain MAX stop. Free.
– Preparing for the Unexpected – Outdoor Safety Basics, 7:00pm at the Hillsboro Streets of Tanasbourne REI, free.
Wednesday, May 23rd:
– KBOO’s Youth Collective 10-year anniversary celebration, 6:00pm – 8:00pm at KBOO radio, free.
– Write Around Portland Spring Reading and Anthology Release Party, 6:30pm at First United Methodist Church. Free childcare is available. ADA-accessible. Books will be available for purchase. Donations welcome and appreciated. Everyone is welcome! Call 503.796.9224 for more information.
– Powell’s book event “Please God Let It Be Herpes,” 7:30pm at Powell’s City of Books on Burnside, free.
Thursday, May 24th:
– The Department of Theatre and Film of Portland State University presents FEN by Caryl Churchill, 7:30pm at Lincoln Performance Hall. This performance is a low-cost preview for just $6 general admission.
– Submission from Emily:
Celebrate the positive things happening in community!
Community Outreach of Our United Villages invites you to the sixth presentation of Sharing Ideas on Thursday, May 24th, 2012 at the June Key Delta Center (5940 North Albina Street) from 6:00 – 8:00 PM.
Sharing Ideas showcases the positive efforts of neighbors, groups and organizations throughout Portland. Projects will be invited to share the spark that ignited their idea, the tools and strategies used to turn their ideas into action and their hopes for the future of their project. Make connections, build support for positive efforts in the community and discover possibilities for creating similar projects in your neighborhood.
Register to attend online at www.ouvcommunityoutreach.org or call 503.546.7499. FREE and open to the community. Food provided. Child care (9 and under), transportation, and interpretation provided upon request.
To read about past Sharing Ideas events and for more information, visit our website at www.ouvcommunityoutreach.org.