Article of the Week:
“How to Save Money at Target,” by Lylah M. Alphonse for Yahoo Shine Financially Fit.
WEEK ON THE CHEAP
Monday, September 17th:
– Free program “The State of Equity: Right to Occupy Your Health, Citizenship & Education,” 5:30pm – 8:00pm at Multnomah County Building, Board Room #100 at 501 SE Hawthorne Boulevard. Sponsored by KBOO and THE-TREE Institute.
– OMSI Science Pub at Hillsboro’s Venetian Theater, 7:00pm, $5 suggested cover charge. Tonight’s presentation is “Tsunami Debris Dilemma: Invasive Species Coming From Afar.”
Tuesday, September 18th:
– The Osher Lifelong Learning Institute presents a free open house and lecture “Bees 101,” 1:30pm at Elsie Stuhr Center in Beaverton. Light refreshments will be provided.
– â€œNoche de los poetasâ€ â€” Poets Open Mic Night, 7:00pm at Miracle Theatre as part of La Luna Nueva. Free.
– OMSI Science Pub at McMenamins Mission Theater, 7:00pm, $5 suggested cover charge. Tonight’s presentation is “Exploring the Deep Ocean: Strange Animals, Submarine Volcanoes, and Life in Extreme Environments.”
– Lake Oswego Library Third Tuesday welcomes author Mark Ellis, 7:00pm – 8:30pm, free.
Wednesday, September 19th:
– Talk Like a Pirate DaY – get a free doughnut at Krispy Kreme for talking like a pirate, or go all out and dress like a pirate to get a dozen for free. See link for more info.
– The Friends of the Multnomah County Library will be hosting a Campaign Rally for the Library District vote, 6:00pm – 8:00pm at the Old Church. Free.
– Free EcoRoof Bicycle Tour, 6:00pm – 8:00pm beginning in downtown Portland. Register online.
– Powell’s book event “Who Stole the American Dream?,” 7:00pm at the Cedar Hills Crossing location, free.
– Rough cut screening of the Camino Documentary, 7:00pm at NW Film Center, admission is by donation. Portland filmmaker Lydia B. Smith will be on hand for a Q&A after the film.
Thursday, September 20th:
– Industry&Art: Celebrating the Worker, features the works of over 30 professional artists, 12:00pm – 6:00pm at Vigor Industrial Shipyard on Swan Island. Admission is a suggested donation of $5. Continues through the weekend.
– Third Thursday Movie Series kicks off with a public screening of the Best of the 38th NW Filmmakers Festival. 6:30pm at the Beaverton Library auditorium, free.
– Comedy Central’s “Comics to Watch Showcase,” 8:00pm at Helium Comedy Club, tickets are just $5.